How to fix ESU error "We can’t enroll you in Extended Security Updates right now" when trying to enroll?

Eri 65 Reputation points
2025-10-08T01:44:27.89+00:00

I'm trying to enroll to ESU (Extended Security Updates) as the updates are ending and I cant yet update to Windows 11 because its not available even though my PC meets the requirements. The process is very straight-forward, I click "enroll now" on the windows updates page and go through the process until the last page where I get told I'm eligible (first image attached), I click "Enroll" and after I do I get redirected to a page with the title "Something went wrong" and alongside that "We can’t enroll you in Extended Security Updates right now" (second image attached). This happens regardless of when or how many times I try. I've tried going through live support, but after a 30 minute wait, all I got told was to post on the forums. So here I am, with windows 10 updates ending and not being able to update to windows 11, it feels a bit more urgent. Any help appreciated.Capture2

Capture1

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

15 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-08T02:22:09.8233333+00:00

    Hi, good day!

    Are you logged into Windows using a local or Microsoft Account?


    Please try the following methods below.

    If your computer can connect to Wi-Fi, please try connecting to a different network such as your phone's mobile hotspot then try again.

    Make sure Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant and Credential Manager services are available and running.

    Press Start then search Services

    Find Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant in the list then double click it

    Select Automatic (Delayed Start) on the Startup Type and click on Start

    Click Apply and OK.

    Do the same with Credential Manager service

    I look forward to receiving your update and I'm willing to collaborate with you till we resolve the issue. Do keep me informed by clicking "Add comment" below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.

  2. Kapil Arya 38,511 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-10-08T09:44:06.7466667+00:00

    Make sure your system meets primary requirements mentioned here:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/extended-security-updates

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-09T19:44:36.1066667+00:00

    Please try performing an In-place Upgrade. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while your personal files, settings and installed applications will not be removed.

    Few things to check on the PC

    • Unplug all external peripherals except for the Mouse, Keyboard, and LAN cable before starting
    • Disable or uninstall any third-party Antivirus program to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade

    Download the media creation tool(Click Download tool now) and save it to your computer.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

    Open the tool and select Upgrade this PC now.

    Make sure to select Keep personal files and apps.

    It might take some time to install Windows 10. Your computer will restart a few times, make sure you don’t turn off your PC.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Raymond Caswell 155 Reputation points
    2025-10-13T17:17:50.79+00:00

    I had this very same annoying issue UNTIL I hit on the left side in settings under "Find my device." It was turned "off" and then I changed it to "on." As soon as I turned it to "on" I was able to "enroll" the very next time. Hopefully this works for someone else as well.

    Capture

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.

  5. Acproy 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-14T18:37:29.7866667+00:00

    I had this precise issue while managing an old standalone business PC (Dell OptiPlex 3050). Unfortunately, I had to convert the local account to a Microsoft Account beforehand. If you are getting the error messages Eri has mentioned, you must log in, on your device, as a Microsoft Account. It will go through the process of changing your local password to a new PIN login. After the account is no longer local, click on enrollment.

    You will get the first screenshot but with a Add Device button, if your Microsoft Account is already enrolled in ESU. You will not get the login screen at all.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.