You might have to to flip some bits in the UEFI.
Windows Developer VM or images, where are they now?
I changed job this spring. I am a software tester, I used to use virtualbox, but want to use HyperV if it does in fact function. I'm on an AMD processor i9, win11, the Enterprisey version, I have a MSDN/visual studio license only.
I always used to download the 1-2 month demo images for testing software on, but these developer-ready VM VHD images are no longer published. I am going to assume that a permanent decision to stop these was made, and want to know why updated documentation for people like myself is not clear anymore.
I am just plain unable to find any answered questions that show that using Hyper-V on Windows 11 will be easy somehow. Clues please. HyperV starts the Windows 11 installer I grabbed off of https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/download-windows-11-enterprise and then decides it just will not install due to incompatibility. There is no easy to find documentation explaining working settings I need to tweak or choose Gen1/Gen2 etc in VShere, after trying a few things, still no joy. My MSDN sub does not include platform license keys these days, so I will have to ask IT for MLP keys I guess or find if we have an MLP server I guess. Those time-bombed images were so helpful before.
What is the current new suggested route people are using?
Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | Storage high availability | Virtualization and Hyper-V
Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
4 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
floorpedo 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T05:09:11.32+00:00 I created a tool for automating the process for creating, maintaining, repairing, renewing expired trial license, backing up tooling configs installing the desired tooling and more for dev Hyper-v VMs. It is not ready for releasing yet, but will share what I have so far.
I was a full stack, Enterprise developer and in 2017 had a bad accident that took my eyesight and I’m just now getting to the point where I can work again and I have some serious catching up to do.
The biggest question I have are there better solutions now than creating the VM’s?
Granted, this is a great medium for me getting back up to speed on powershell and AI.
AI has been super helpful in answering questions where information is too obscured to quickly find.
I like to start with Copilot and then finish with Claude for validation.
I ran a spike for having them create tooling in C# and was shocked on how badly the code was like the code seen examples and resembled code a disinterested intern would create. I shat my pants seeing how badly the code use exceptions as a means of conditional execution paths and always swallowing exceptions…was like seeing a bunch of goto statements…
Anyhoo, I do have a script I badly need to refactor, but it works alright and is getting to be robust.
let me know if interested and I will make it public on GitHub.
-
Henry Mai 80 Reputation points
2025-04-25T15:29:14.61+00:00 Hi, I am Henry, I want to discuss with you with this topic.
"I always used to download the 1-2 month demo images for testing software on, but these developer-ready VM VHD images are no longer published. I am going to assume that a permanent decision to stop these was made, and want to know why updated documentation for people like myself is not clear anymore."
For this one, I tried to research the reason behind the discontinuation of the developer-ready VM VHD images, but I couldn’t find any definitive explanation either.
"I am just plain unable to find any answered questions that show that using Hyper-V on Windows 11 will be easy somehow. Clues please. HyperV starts the Windows 11 installer I grabbed off of https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/download-windows-11-enterprise and then decides it just will not install due to incompatibility. There is no easy to find documentation explaining working settings I need to tweak or choose Gen1/Gen2 etc in VShere, after trying a few things, still no joy."
I see you mentioned vSphere. Are you referring to VMware vSphere? If so, I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to assist you with installing a VM using VMware. However, it seems like you’re trying to use Hyper-V on Windows 11 to install and run a virtual machine with the Windows 11 Enterprise OS but are encountering issues with settings and compatibility. If you’d like, I can guide you step-by-step on how to set up a new VM using Hyper-V on Windows 11.
Step 1: Access Hyper-V Manager
- From the Start menu, search for Hyper-V Manager.
- If it doesn’t appear, follow these steps to enable it:
- Navigate to "Turn Windows features on or off" through the Control Panel or Settings app.
- Check the boxes for "Hyper-V", "Hyper-V Management Tools", and "Hyper-V Platform".
- Click "OK" and restart your computer.
Step 2: Create a New VM
- Open Hyper-V Manager and begin setting up a new virtual machine. You can refer to this official guide for details about configuring generation, RAM, and disk.
Step 3: Select the Virtual Machine Generation
- When creating the VM, decide whether to use Generation 1 or Generation 2. For more details about these options, refer to this link: Should I create a Generation 1 or 2 VM?
Step 4: Configure VM Resources
- Memory: Since the VM shares memory with the host machine, set the startup memory conservatively (e.g., 4GB or 8GB).
- Networking: Use the default switch configuration, which is pre-set on the host machine.
- Storage: Each VM requires a virtual hard disk. Ensure you allocate disk size cautiously to avoid exhausting the host machine’s storage.
-
Step 5: Install the Operating System
- Download the installation media for Windows 11:
- Use the Windows 11 Enterprise Evaluation if you need a trial version.
- Alternatively, use the Media Creation Tool and convert it to an ISO file if you face issues downloading ISO files directly.
- Import the ISO file to the VM during setup.
- As we need to install the OS, we you can access this link to download the media and then convert it to iso and import to the image file https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/download-windows-11-enterprise or you can download the media creation and then convert to iso if you got issue with iso directly https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
Step 6: Finalize and Start the VM
- After completing the configuration, click Finish, and the VM will appear under the "Virtual Machine" list in Hyper-V Manager.
- Right-click the new VM, select Start, and proceed with the installation process. Once complete, you can fully utilize Hyper-V to run Windows 11 on your host machine.
Let me know if you need more discussion about this set up.
-
Eric Siron 1,596 Reputation points MVP
2025-04-17T19:14:05.09+00:00 On your Windows 11 machine with Hyper-V installed, use the search icon or open the Start menu and start typing "Quick Create". It should suggest "Hyper-V Quick Create". Run that.
That tool can create a VM with an evaluation version of your currently installed OS.