Why is Visual Studio 2022 not publishing my most recent changes

Neil Hinkle 15 Reputation points
2023-07-26T12:56:29.53+00:00

I'm working on a vb.net web app and noticed yesterday that, when publishing to a local folder, it's not pushing out my most recent changes. I can see that they're in my repository when I push and pull. Everything is saved and working correctly when I debug but when I right-click on the solution and choose to publish, it is publishing files from days ago for some reason.

I was able to temporarily fix this last night by completely uninstalling Visual Studio, reinstalling it, and cloning the project from its repository. That finally resulted in the current files being published but the very next set of changes that I made were ignored. Resetting my preferences this morning did nothing to fix it either.

I haven't made any changes to my VS configuration and am running 17.6.5. I haven't seen that this is a known issue for it though.

Any suggestions on what to do here?

Developer technologies | Visual Studio | Other
Developer technologies | Visual Studio | Other

A family of Microsoft suites of integrated development tools for building applications for Windows, the web, mobile devices and many other platforms. Miscellaneous topics that do not fit into specific categories.

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Salvatore Strazzullo 11 Reputation points
    2026-09-25T09:32:37.69+00:00

    Ancient bug that hasn't been solved yet as of Visual Studio 2022 v17.14.40 (not sure in VS2026). What I do is usually to delete the files in the build folder and retry, sometimes it also doesnt fix it, so the only thing that actually works is to delete the publish profile and make a new one

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anna Xiu-MSFT 31,211 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff
    2023-07-27T03:54:54.3866667+00:00

    Hi @Neil Hinkle , 

    Welcome to Microsoft Q&A!

    Can you create a new project and check that it occurs in the specific project? 

    You can right-click on the changed file and manually publish it. 

    Sincerely,

    Anna


    If the answer is the right solution, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment". 
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?