Microsoft Forms Text Size Limit and Updating Format Issues

Maria Pinho 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T17:55:04.23+00:00

Hello,

I decided to move a survey to Microsoft Forms, and I am having two constant issues:

  1. Text Limit: I have a long consent form that I need to include as a question for respondents to read. I cannot use a link, per my IRB requirements. I tried to include it as a question, but it locks the field, and I can't add a line break, even using Shift+Enter. I tried creating the text as a section subtitle to connect it to the question, but I am facing the same issue. Why is there a text limit on a section? I can understand for a question, but a section???
  2. Text Size Updates: If I change a text size from medium to small but then decide to change it back, the text remains small. I tried refreshing the page, but it still doesn't work. To update it, I have to create a new question from scratch. The interesting part is that the options and items don't update accordingly.

I appreciate the guidance,

[Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Forms | For education
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emily T 660 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-07T18:29:50.7666667+00:00

    Hi Maria,

    For the text size issue, changing text size normally update immediately. The behavior you described, where text remains small after switching it back to medium may indicate a temporary issue with the Forms editor. As a troubleshooting step, please try:

    • Click into the field, press Ctrl+A to select all the text, and set the size again explicitly rather than relying on the toggle.
    • If that fails, use the clear-formatting option in the toolbar, then reapply the size you want.
    • Test in an InPrivate or incognito window, or in a different browser, to rule out a cached or extension issue.
    • If it only happens in one field, copying the question (the duplicate icon) sometimes resets its formatting.

    Regarding the text limit, Microsoft Forms does have character limits for form elements, including descriptions and subtitles. Text fields and question subtitles are limited to 4,000 characters (including spaces). This limit also applies to section subtitles, so if your consent form exceeds that limit, Forms may prevent additional text from being entered. Unfortunately, there is currently no supported way to increase this limit.

    For reference: Form, question, response, and character limits in Microsoft Forms | Microsoft Support

    However, I believe this feature is heavily impacting to your workflow, I highly recommend submitting a suggestion directly to Microsoft Forms by navigating to: Microsoft Forms · Community. This is the most effective way to ensure your voice reaches the product team and can be considered for future improvements.  

    User's image

    Once you've submitted your feedback, feel free to share the link here in the comments. I’ll be happy to upvote it to help bring more visibility.  

    Note: As Microsoft Community moderators, please note that we are not involved in product design decisions and do not have direct access to the development roadmap, we want to assure you that your feedback has been acknowledged and is valued.  

    In the meantime, if you see my replies bring helpful information, please kindly accept it as an answer and vote it up by your original account, which raised this question. Once marked, it will automatically pin to top. As other users will also search information in this community, your valuable vote up will definitely also help other users who have similar queries easily to find the correct channel and useful information more quickly.   

    I hope this provides enough clarity and helps you stay inform with your current situation.

    Thank you for your patience and your understanding. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.    


    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.