Windows unable to manage memory well enough to support external monitor

Diviney House 20 Reputation points
2026-10-05T21:09:03.9+00:00

I have an HP laptop - HP EliteBook 8 with 32 GB of RAM

If this device uses more than 70% of it's RAM (even 71%) it becomes unable to use any external monitors. I have gone as far as to write a custom tool to identify which "casual" apps I have open which, if closed, will push the laptop unto a memory usage where it will actually be able to use an external monitor so I can close what will help the most. This means that Windows is so poor at memory management that it cannot prioritize the needs of external hardware over some spurious application as to present the user with any display. This is true whether the internal display is available or not. i.e. if I have the clamshell closed, and then connect even a single 2k external monitor, Windows will simply fail to display anything. I should note that this is the second laptop which has performed in precisely the same way - the previous being also an HP from the same product line.

Once I free up enough memory (which is one of those Operating System responsibilities that I have to perform on its behalf for some reason) then I can connect the monitor, then reopen the app which pushed it beyond the 70% threshold. Everything, inexplicably, works fine after that. I can go to 95% RAM usage and it is miraculously able to still use the monitor. Amazing.

Worse still: if I lock the computer and the monitor goes to sleep, I must then open the clamshell, disconnect the external monitor, close the application(s) which pushed it beyond 70%, then reconnect the monitor, close the clamshell, and open the application(s) again. The specifically funny part about this failure mode is that windows actually displays the screen content for a second or two before blacking out the screen - never to return until I take actions to manage the memory in the place of the OS. This demonstrates that there is (or was) an video buffer in memory, but windows simply refuses to now use it.

I often opt to call into meetings which are just 100 feet from my desk because I know that Windows will completely screw up the monitor management and the window layout therein so that I don't want to pay the "Manage Windows for Windows so I can use my monitors and Windows to do work" penalty. This is one major reason I abandoned Microsoft products at home (in favor of Bazzite) and most other people in the office use Macs. It really is that bad.

Maybe this is an artifact of the hardware. Maybe - since this is a corporate-managed resource - this is some kind of IT-nanny-ware-imposed limitation. But, at the end of the day; Windows owns the hardware. Windows, with 10GB of "free" memory, becomes unable to show... you know... any windows. This is simply inexcusable and, frankly, should be an embarrassment to those responsible for Microsoft's core OS team.

It would be easy to blame this on HP; maybe some peculiarity with the product family is causing this. Maybe my organization's IT department has done something apocalyptically stupid to make windows look like a useless buffoon here. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. My ability to fix this as a non-admin user shows that this is a core Windows problem. Windows owns the memory and windows is failing to manage the memory to enable to me to do work.

Please fix this - and, while you're at it; please start prioritizing the user experience. IT might pay your bills when you give them all kinds of new spy tools, but you're killing the golden goose and looking like a laughing stock while doing it to anyone paying attention. You're moving toward a world where only IT will be the ones paying the bills... then they will look for ways to stop paying that bill. If you make the end-user's experience so poor that they'd rather be anywhere else, IT will follow.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | Performance | Windows desktop and shell experience
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Jason Nguyen Tran 27,530 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-06T00:02:45.82+00:00

Hello Diviney House,

Based on your observations, this does not appear to be a normal Windows memory management behavior. Windows should be capable of managing memory pressure and display resources without requiring users to manually reduce memory consumption before connecting or waking external monitors. The fact that the display functions correctly after the monitor is connected, even when memory usage later increases to 95%, suggests the issue may be related to display initialization, graphics driver resource allocation, firmware interactions, or an environment-specific policy rather than overall system memory availability.

The additional detail that the screen briefly displays content before going black is particularly valuable, as it indicates the display pipeline is initially established and then subsequently fails. Because this is occurring on corporate-managed HP systems, I would also consider the possibility of an interaction between the graphics driver stack, docking hardware, device firmware, or a management/security solution deployed by your organization.

While I cannot confirm a product defect based solely on the information provided, your findings strongly suggest that further investigation should focus on display driver diagnostics, Windows event logs, and any enterprise management components present on the affected devices. If you have access to a corporate IT team, I would recommend engaging them to collect diagnostic logs during the monitor connection and wake-from-sleep scenarios so that the underlying trigger can be identified

I hope the response provided some helpful insight. If you find this answer useful, please hit “accept answer” so I know it addressed your concern.

Jason

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Diviney House 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T12:55:50.8633333+00:00

    More information/summary

    • Two iterations of the same type of laptop with the same memory topology have experienced this problem, reliably, over the last 5 years.
    • Several different types of monitors are involved, yet the pattern and behavior is identical, reliable, and repeatable
      • Above 70% memory utilization the graphics subsystem will not share the screen with the external monitor
      • Windows will clearly be attempting to initialize the desktop display and will cycle through various layouts, with the monitor(s) flickering over the course of about 15 minutes, then eventually windows "gives up" and reverts to the clamshell display only
    • As soon as the memory is brought below 70% and the monitors are connected, the monitors are able to initialize properly and remain operational.
      • It doesn't matter if there are two external monitors - sometimes even dual 4k resolution screens

    I agree that some shenanigans with IT tooling or even drivers cannot be ruled out. The kinds of hardware and drivers involved have remained essentially constant over the 5 year observational period. However, given that available memory level is the sole determining factor here, this seems to be primarily a windows resource management issue.

    This is because

    • There is a clear ability of the hardware to deal with far less available memory once the video subsystems are configured and remain active.
    • Windows usually cannot resume the configuration if the monitors remain connected but are allowed to enter their sleep mode (not the formal windows system sleep) for more than a few minutes.
      • This suggests that the OS is revoking or paging out critical display resources, making the wake process impossible
      • The video subsystem appears to lose access to whatever resources were allocated. Waking up the monitors results in the login being displayed successfully. Once a login succeeds, I see the last video frame from my desktop, then it blanks the screen and I must open the clamshell, unplug the monitors, reduce the memory load and plug them back in to get the desktop back
        • As a clue to a debugger, the clamshell display shows its content scaled to the resolution of the connected monitor - but even worse with the black borders that the Windows UI designers use to signal a desktop hardware transition. So, with a 4k monitor connected, I see a 4k rendering of the desktop on a 1080p clamshell display, smashed into a smaller-than-1080p rectangle, making the items on the desktop miniscule and impossible to read
      • Once manually rectified, I am then presented with all of my windows crammed into the corner of a single screen on top of each other. I must then spend time reorganizing the desktop layout to where it was before I resume work - very frustrating. It is a further bit of irony that a product called "Windows" is failing in its essential task of managing the windows.

    Driver or not, there are multiple OS and/or driver "misses" here which directly impact the time it takes to do work. Given the mainstream contributors to the hardware and software stack I use (MS/Intel/Samsung) I'd bet that even if the driver is making this difficult, it is probably because the specs they were given to design them are either ambiguous or lead them to ask Windows to do things that are not optimal. The buck stops with how the windows APIs work; if the driver is asking the OS to do things - they should not "sometimes" work. In other words, I should not be able to write a driver that behaves this way based on a well-formed spec unless Windows is doing something really dumb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.