windows PC, excel not opening properly. displays white screen and tabs behind tabs.

Peter Massos 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T02:04:51.9666667+00:00

“Excel is not opening properly. When I open any workbook or a new file, Excel shows a large white screen and only a Sheet1 tab in front, with an endless series of alphabetic tabs behind it. My data appears in Print Preview, but not in the normal grid view. Word and PowerPoint work fine. My Microsoft 365 subscription is active until 10/12/26. I’ve already installed updates, run an Online Repair of Office, and rebooted, but the issue persists.”

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T02:50:11.25+00:00

    Hi, good day!

    Let's try to test Excel in Safe Mode

    Press Windows key + R to open Run, type

    excel /safe
    

    Press Enter.

    Open a workbook. Please see if the grid renders properly in Safe Mode

    I look forward to receiving your update and I'm willing to collaborate with you till we resolve the issue. Do keep me informed by clicking "Add comment" below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.