Can't Disable Passkeys, even though the option is there!

Chris Bondie - Tails230 20 Reputation points
2026-10-02T04:49:34.7266667+00:00

Can someone explain WHY I am unable to disable 'Save Passkeys to this Windows device?'

I don't use passkeys. I will never use passkeys. And I'm tired of Windows asking me EVERY SINGLE TIME to add a prompt key everytime I log into something! And its not a setting on Edge, I'm using Mozilla and Windows STILL gives me the prompt.

I want to turn that off and Google said to go into Accounts > Passkey > Advance Option and turn off Save Passkeys to this windows device. But I can't! It won't let me turn it off.

WHY?

Why are you restricting your users like this? This isn't convince, it's controlling the consumers. and this will not stand. Either tell me how to turn off this setting, or I'm boycotting Microsoft and switching to Linux.

User's image

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Paulo GM 72,670 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-02T06:01:39.2233333+00:00

    Hi,

    That option is grayed out because you do not have a third-party passkey manager. If you do not want websites/apps to trigger the prompt asking for a passkey, you should turn off these settings in Microsoft Password Manager in Edge as shown in the image below.

    Screenshot 2026-10-02 135931

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Arshad Hussain 5 Reputation points
    2026-10-02T05:23:38.1166667+00:00

    Hi Chris,

    The option being greyed out usually means the passkey service is being controlled by another setting or policy, rather than the toggle itself being broken.

    I would check these first:

    Go to Settings → Accounts → Passkeys.

    Open Advanced options and check if any other passkey manager/provider is enabled.

    Go to Settings → Privacy & security → Passkey access and check which apps are allowed to access passkeys.

    Go back to Settings → Accounts → Passkeys and delete any existing Windows passkeys you don't want.

    Restart the PC and check Advanced options again.

    Microsoft confirms that Save passkeys to this Windows device is normally controlled from this page, but the feature can also be disabled/controlled by an organization policy.

    Since you are seeing the switch but it is greyed out, I would also check:

    Settings → Accounts → Access work or school

    If this PC is connected to a work/school account, a policy may be controlling the setting.

    If it is a personal PC with no work/school account, let me know your Windows 11 version/build (Win + R → winver). That will help narrow down why the toggle is locked.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.