How do I find the Downloads tab on File Explorer after I deleted it?

Colton Scott 25 Reputation points
2026-10-02T01:54:39.95+00:00

I was trying to clear up space on my computer a couple days ago, and accidentally deleted the Downloads tab in File Explorer.

I can't find any way to bring it back, and I need help. It's not in my Recycle Bin.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
GsN5034 - IA 77,900 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-02T02:50:55.44+00:00

Hello,

1

In File Explorer, select More (∙∙∙) > Options.

Then, in the Folder Options window, select 'Restore Defaults'.

If the 'Downloads' folder is still missing,

2

Press Windows + R, type

shell:Desktop

See if the 'Downloads' folder is located there.

downloads (1) (1)

3

If you see the folder, right-click the 'Downloads' folder and select Pin to Quick Access.

If you are getting an error when opening the Downloads folder that is pinned to Quick Access,

  • Go to Local Disk C: > Users > Your Username.
  • Create a new folder called 'Downloads'.
  • Once created, right-click the Downloads Folder in the left pane, select Properties > Location > Find Target.
  • Select the 'Downloads' folder you created from your user folder.

However, since you deleted the Downloads folder, the newly created folder will be empty.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.