Laptop auto booting back up after shut down

Laj Dalber 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T19:58:44.5166667+00:00

Hello,

Since I've installed a security patch update on windows 11 somewhere around middle of September (maybe a bit later) my laptop has been booting instantly back up after I shut it down. After booting back up it says that something is wrong with my PIN and I have to set a new one, after which I have to restart the laptop myself for it to get back to normal. I've been shutting off my laptop till now by using the power button, but I don't feel like it's the smartest thing to do in long term.

I've tried fixing the issue or at least addressing it with ChatGpt, but whatever logs we opened and checked it only marked me ordering the system to shut off, nothing about it automatically restarting.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Sleep and Power on, off
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,675 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T03:19:40.8033333+00:00

    Hi, thanks for the detailed information. After checking and analyzing the event files you have, I found general errors in the event files. In this case, I suggest doing an in-place upgrade, which will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

     

    Go to the Windows 11 website: https://www.microsoft.com/hu-hu/software-download/windows11

     

    Under Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO), select Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO)

     

    1.     Once done downloading the ISO, kindly right-click on the ISO, then click Mount>click Setup.exe

    2.     You may be prompted by User Account Control. Click on Yes if so

    3.     In the Install Windows 11 dialog, click Next

    4.     Setup will check your PC and show a license agreement. Click on Accept in the license terms dialog.

    5.     Wait for the setup program to check for the available free space.

    6.     On the Ready to install page, make sure Keep personal files and apps has been checked.

    7.     Then click Install and just follow the prompt.

    8.     Windows 11 will restart your device several times and lead you to the lock screen. Depending on the options you set, it will keep all your files, apps, and user accounts.

     

    You may also refer to the link below:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-in-place-upgrade-in-windows-11/4d469147-2747-4dcb-88a4-aae9273a4500

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,675 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T21:34:04.9033333+00:00

    Hi, I'm Bernard. I'm happy to help!

    To confirm, can you still access the logs on the PC, or not at all? Can you please check the System logs on the PC so I can further examine the root cause of the issue?

     

    To share the System logs, please follow the steps in the link below:

     

    Press the Windows key + X, then select "Event Viewer"

    Click the drop-down of "Windows logs"

    Right-click System > click Filter Current logs > Check: Critical, Warning, and Error > Hit OK

    On the right pane, click "Save Filtered Log File As..."

    Save the System logs file to your desktop and share it by following the steps from the link:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/share-onedrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

     

    Note: You can also use your preferred cloud storage to upload and share the logs.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.