I have been locked out of my computer due to Bitlocker and tried logging into another device/computer to retrieve the key but there is none, how can i obtain a key to unlock this?

Carsen Kontir 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T18:00:25.47+00:00

bitlocker updated and locked me out of my HD, I have no idea where I placed the code. I cant remember which email address I used to sign into the laptop. I have more than one computer. I could some help here.

thanks

Kit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. EmilyS726 270.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T18:34:14.93+00:00

    I wish I could share good news, but the truth is no one can get you the bitlocker key, including Microsoft staff/support. https://support.microsoft.com/windows/find-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6 The link here says:"Important: Microsoft Support doesn't have the ability to retrieve, provide, or recreate a lost BitLocker recovery key."

    Is this where you looked? https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey

    If you set it up with school or work account, it is worth checking here as well https://aka.ms/aadrecoverykey sign in with your work/school email credential in that case.

    Any chance your laptop was purchased used, or already set up for you? Or was it gifted? Or have you set it up with a different account at first? The key is stored with the very Microsoft account used to set up the computer for the first time, even if you had got rid of that account and set it up with a different account. So, if your computer was set up by anyone at the store you bought it from, it would be that person's account.

    I assume you don't remember opting out of not saving it in Microsoft account, and saving it to a local file instead? That's another possibility.

    If you can't find it at all, there's really no way to go around it. Bitlocker means business. If it can be bypassed, then it means the encryption is not working. Your only option is to do a clean install of Windows. In that case, you do lose your files. I am very sorry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-01T18:00:39.7+00:00

    A BitLocker recovery key cannot be generated, recreated, or retrieved by Microsoft Support if it was never backed up or can’t be found. The only way to unlock the drive is with the existing 48-digit recovery key.

    Check these locations using another device:

    1. On the BitLocker recovery screen, note the first 8 digits of the recovery key ID.
    2. Check the Microsoft account recovery key page and sign in with each Microsoft account that might have been used on that PC. Match the key ID to the device key.
    3. If the PC was ever signed into a work or school account, check the work or school account Devices page and select View BitLocker Keys.
    4. Check for a printed copy of the key.
    5. Check any USB flash drive where the key may have been saved.
    6. If someone else set up the device or enabled BitLocker, the key might be in that person’s Microsoft account.

    If the device is managed by an organization, contact that organization’s IT support.

    If the recovery key cannot be found, the remaining option is to reset or reinstall Windows using Windows recovery options. Warning: this removes all files on the device.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.