I can not update, uninstall or reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader

Mike and Linda Cassidy 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T10:57:41.8633333+00:00

I can not update, uninstall or reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader (free).
I get errors saying No valid sequence for the set of patches could be found.
So I get messages sating Update Failed every now and then.
Nothing I have tried has woprked.
I am using a high spec Asus Viviobook laptop, which is well maintained.

I am looking for a safe, not too complex method of uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lucus-V 13,480 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-01T17:32:17.2366667+00:00

    Hi Mike and Linda Cassidy,

    I'm sorry you're experiencing this problem.

    Based on the error message "No valid sequence for the set of patches could be found", the issue appears to be related to the installation or update components of Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a third-party application and not a Microsoft product. As a result, our ability to investigate Acrobat-specific installer, update, or patching issues is limited.

    Before contacting Adobe Support, you may wish to try the following:

    1. Run Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter to remove any broken installer records.
    2. If the issue persists, use Adobe's official Acrobat Cleaner Tool to remove Acrobat Reader and any remaining installation data.
    3. If Acrobat still cannot be removed, you may also consider using a reputable third-party uninstaller utility that can remove leftover files, folders, and installer entries that standard uninstall methods may miss.

    Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.

    If these steps do not resolve the issue, I recommend contacting Adobe Support directly, as they have access to product-specific tools and troubleshooting resources that are not available through the Microsoft Community.

    Thank you for your understanding.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Mike and Linda Cassidy 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T11:41:48.94+00:00

    The Microsoft install uninstall fixit troubleshooter will also not install. I get the following error:-
    I have no other issues with this computer.
    It is used especially for music projects and carefully maintained and protected against viruses etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.