If your license was preinstalled on the device and came with the device, that means you are on OEM license, and it is not transferable.
If the license was purchased by you separately and it is a retail license, then you can transfer.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I replaced my motherboard on a pc that I purchased with Windows 10 preloaded. That was later upgraded to Windows 11.
I need to reactivate windows.
If your license was preinstalled on the device and came with the device, that means you are on OEM license, and it is not transferable.
If the license was purchased by you separately and it is a retail license, then you can transfer.
AI answer
Replacing the motherboard is treated as a significant hardware change, so Windows may no longer find the license tied to the old hardware.
For Windows 11, try these steps:
Important points for this scenario:
If Windows 11 still does not activate after running the troubleshooter and entering a valid product key, contact Microsoft customer support.