Hi Jim Beucler,
I can understand how inconvenient this must be, especially when you’ve been dealing with the same verification prompts for years and you know it’s you signing in.
One thing I’d like to narrow down is whether these security checks are actually coming from Windows, your browser or the individual websites. The questionnaire you described sounds like it could be a website verification check, so I don’t recommend removing accounts or credentials until we know what’s triggering it.
When it happens again, could you let me know the exact wording of the “unauthorized” message and whether it appears on the website itself, inside your browser or as a Windows notification?
Also, please check Settings > Accounts > Your info and let me know whether it shows your account or your wife’s. Then check the profile icon in your browser and see which account is currently signed in there.
For now, I’d leave the accounts and saved credentials as they are. Once we know where your wife’s account is still being used, we can focus on the right place rather than making changes that might cause additional sign-in problems.
If possible, you can also share a screenshot of the message. Just make sure to cover any email addresses, phone numbers, security codes or other personal information first.