Explorer Extra Large icons same size as Large Icons

Paul Barton 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T15:17:54.9466667+00:00

My desktop icons are fine, but in Explorer, icons for pictures are never larger than the "Large" size. I have a 4k laptop screen, with suggested scaling in Settings of 250%. That works fine for the desktop, but limits Explorer to the "large" size icons. Setting it to 100% scaling makes everything very small, but Explorer now has a real "extra large" setting. Unfortunately, everything is about 2x too small to use.

I have another laptop that has only HD resolution, does not have this problem.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emma1-N 13,410 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-01T00:04:36.8566667+00:00

    Welcome Paul Barton,

    Thank you for providing the additional details. I can understand why this is frustrating, especially on a 4K display where larger thumbnails are often needed to view photos comfortably.

    Before concluding that this is a Windows bug, I'd like to gather a little more information and suggest a couple of quick checks:

    1. Does the issue occur in all Explorer folders containing pictures, or only in specific folders?
    2. When viewing the folder, is "View" > "Extra large icons" selected and are photo thumbnails being displayed correctly?
    3. Please try rebuilding the thumbnail cache:
      • Press Windows + R > type cleanmgr and press Enter
      • Select your system drive
      • Check Thumbnails
      • Click OK and allow Windows to recreate the cache
    4. Please let us know your Windows build:
      • Go to Settings > System > About
      • Provide the value shown under OS Build

    I look forward to your reply with the OS build number and the results of the thumbnail cache test.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.