To keep the wallpaper the same after restart in Windows 11:
- Open Settings > Personalization > Background.
- Under Personalize your background, select Picture.
- Choose the image to keep as the desktop background.
If the wallpaper still changes, check these common causes:
- Open Settings > Personalization > Themes.
- Set the wallpaper again and save it as a new theme.
- Make sure Background is set to Picture, not Slideshow.
- If using multiple virtual desktops, use the same wallpaper across all desktops. Windows 11 can reset wallpaper behavior when switching desktops.
- If the device is managed with policy, a wallpaper policy can force a specific image or prevent changes. In managed environments, the relevant policy is User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop > Desktop Wallpaper.
If a policy is configured, it can point to a local file or UNC path, and users can be prevented from changing the wallpaper. If that file is unavailable at sign-in, no wallpaper is displayed.
- Change the desktop background in Windows
- My windows 11 background wallpaper is automatically changing to default one no mater how many times I change it to what I want - Microsoft Q&A My windows 11 background wallpaper is automatically changing to default one no mater how many times I change it to what I want.
- Policy CSP - ADMX_Desktop
- Configure the desktop and lock screen backgrounds (windows-10)