I really need help with a persistent Call of Duty: Black Ops 7 crash on PC.
The game repeatedly crashes with:
0xC0000005
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Faulting module: cod.exe
PC:
Intel Core i7-14700
RTX 4070 12GB
32GB DDR5
ASUS PRIME B760M-AJ
This happens on both the PC Game Pass/Xbox version and the Steam version.
I have already tested the following:
- Clean-installed Windows 11
- Tested Windows 10 22H2 and Windows 11 25H2
- Tested another Windows user account
- Reinstalled Call of Duty
- Verify/Repair
- Deleted/rebuilt shader cache
- Deleted/recreated Documents\Call of Duty\players
- Clean Boot
- Tested without reWASD, GameSir Connect, WUB or dControl
- Physically disconnected the GameSir controller
- Disabled HAGS
- Disabled overlays/OSD software
- Disabled iGPU
- DDU + clean NVIDIA driver install
- Tested NVIDIA 616.92 and 591.59, plus current drivers
- Updated motherboard BIOS
- BIOS 9011 / Intel microcode 0x133
- Disabled XMP / tested DDR5-4800
- Disabled DRAM Power Down
- Replaced msvcp140.dll with the System32 version
- Tested a fixed pagefile of 8192/8193 MB
- Tested another Steam/Activision account
None of these fixed it.
Hardware checks:
- MemTest86: 4 passes, 0 errors
- Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool: PASS
- No WHEA-Logger hardware errors
On the Game Pass version I repeatedly reproduced:
C8D81B9E-D3ABC851-FA6F9127-94D1EC24
Steam also crashes with 0xC0000005.
I also analyzed a COD dump.dmp in WinDbg. At the crash, RCX = 0 and cod.exe attempts to read from that address (equivalent to mov eax,[rcx]), producing a NULL/invalid pointer read.
Before reinstalling Windows, the game often crashed during shader preload around 3-3.5%. After the clean install, shader preload can finish, but the game still crashes afterward.
Activision Support has already escalated my case, but I still do not have a cause or solution.
Because this also happens on the PC Game Pass/Xbox version, I would like to know if there is anything on the Windows/Xbox/Gaming Services side that could cause this kind of access violation.
Is there any deeper diagnostic I can run for Xbox App, Gaming Services, Microsoft Store licensing/services, DirectX, memory management, or Windows crash handling?
I am especially looking for help beyond the usual reinstall/update/clean boot steps, because those have already been completed multiple times.
If useful, I can provide COD crash reports including dump.dmp, info.json, stacktrace_crash.csv, dxdiag_oncrash.txt and bootlog.txt.
Any help identifying the next meaningful test would be greatly appreciated.