Hi エロイ・ニランド,
Has BO7 always crashed on this computer or could you play this game?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I really need help with a persistent Call of Duty: Black Ops 7 crash on PC.
The game repeatedly crashes with:
0xC0000005
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Faulting module: cod.exe
PC:
Intel Core i7-14700
RTX 4070 12GB
32GB DDR5
ASUS PRIME B760M-AJ
This happens on both the PC Game Pass/Xbox version and the Steam version.
I have already tested the following:
None of these fixed it.
Hardware checks:
On the Game Pass version I repeatedly reproduced:
C8D81B9E-D3ABC851-FA6F9127-94D1EC24
Steam also crashes with 0xC0000005.
I also analyzed a COD dump.dmp in WinDbg. At the crash, RCX = 0 and cod.exe attempts to read from that address (equivalent to mov eax,[rcx]), producing a NULL/invalid pointer read.
Before reinstalling Windows, the game often crashed during shader preload around 3-3.5%. After the clean install, shader preload can finish, but the game still crashes afterward.
Activision Support has already escalated my case, but I still do not have a cause or solution.
Because this also happens on the PC Game Pass/Xbox version, I would like to know if there is anything on the Windows/Xbox/Gaming Services side that could cause this kind of access violation.
Is there any deeper diagnostic I can run for Xbox App, Gaming Services, Microsoft Store licensing/services, DirectX, memory management, or Windows crash handling?
I am especially looking for help beyond the usual reinstall/update/clean boot steps, because those have already been completed multiple times.
If useful, I can provide COD crash reports including dump.dmp, info.json, stacktrace_crash.csv, dxdiag_oncrash.txt and bootlog.txt.
Any help identifying the next meaningful test would be greatly appreciated.
Hi エロイ・ニランド,
Has BO7 always crashed on this computer or could you play this game?
Hi エロイ・ニランド,
Given that the issue persists across both the Steam and Game Pass versions, multiple Windows installations, different driver versions, and clean hardware diagnostics, you've already ruled out many of the common causes of 0xC0000005 crashes. The dump analysis indicating a null pointer access inside cod.exe also suggests the crash is occurring within the game process itself rather than from an obvious Windows installation issue.
At this stage, there does not appear to be evidence of a simple Windows installation or hardware stability problem based on the testing you've described. Continuing with dump collection and correlating Windows event logs with the crash may provide the most useful information for the ongoing escalation.
Additionally, you can consider contacting Xbox support for further investigation.
Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas.