Forgotten pin to my new device

jo morley 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T08:27:56.3933333+00:00

Device will only provide pin option and I have forgotten it

Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Vikki-T 11,350 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-29T13:49:04.1233333+00:00

    Hi jo morley,

    I understand how inconvenient it is to be locked out of a new device when Windows only asks for a PIN that you no longer remember.

    On the sign-in screen, please first make sure the device is connected to the Internet. Then check below the PIN box for I forgot my PIN. If that option appears, select it and follow the prompts to verify your Microsoft account and create a new PIN.

    If I forgot my PIN is not shown, select Sign-in options and check whether the Password option is available. You can sign in with your account password, then reset the PIN from Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > PIN (Windows Hello) > I forgot my PIN.

    Please note that a Windows Hello PIN is specific to each device. If this is a new device, the PIN used on your previous computer may not work here.

    To help narrow this down, could you please confirm:

    • Do you see I forgot my PIN or Sign-in options on the screen?
    • Does the account show an email address, or only a username?
    • Is this a personal device, or is it managed by a workplace or school?
    • If possible, please share a photo of the sign-in screen with any email address or personal information covered.

    You can also review Microsoft’s official guidance here: Change or reset your PIN in Windows. Thank you so much for your understanding.   


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.