I can't launch my steam game because of Microsoft Defender and I cant change any settings related to the antivirus

Framp 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T02:52:40.7066667+00:00

I’m trying to launch a video game, but Microsoft Defender keeps blocking the game’s executable. The block appears to come from Attack Surface Reduction (ASR) rules. I can’t disable or modify any Defender or antivirus settings because they’re locked by an administrator.

I’ve already tried verifying game files, restarting the PC, and moving the game to another drive. Controlled Folder Access is also locked, so I can’t add an exception.

The game worked before a recent update, but now Defender blocks it immediately.

How can I run the game when ASR rules are enforced and all Defender settings are locked by an admin? Is there any workaround that doesn’t require admin privileges?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Gaming
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Vikki-T 11,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-29T08:25:01.3166667+00:00

    Hi Framp,

    I understand how frustrating this is, especially since the game worked before the recent update.

    If the ASR rule and Defender settings are locked by an administrator, there is no safe workaround that a standard user can use to bypass them. Please do not try to disable Defender through Registry changes or unofficial tools.

    Could you confirm whether this is your personal PC or a device managed by work or school? You can also check Settings > Accounts > Access work or school and let me know whether an organization account is connected. If possible, please share the exact Defender notification or the name of the ASR rule shown when the game is blocked, with any personal information hidden.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Contributors, including external Microsoft employees, can provide technical guidance, but cannot access your device, change security policies, or intervene in back-end systems.

    I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, but I want to make sure you receive accurate and safe guidance for this situation. Thank you so much for your understanding.   


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.