Windows refuses to make the column narrower in a folder's Details view

NT 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T07:53:26.42+00:00

Hi,

In Windows 11 25H2 (Build 26200.9457), Details View columns such as Size, Date Modified, and Status cannot be narrowed to their content width. Manual resizing, "Size Column to Fit", direct pixel-width settings, folder-view resets, and testing in new local folders on C:\ do not reduce the column widths. The columns remain significantly wider than required, wasting horizontal screen space. Screenshot 2026-09-28 104225

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. NT 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T06:31:35.57+00:00

    It was a clean install on a new computer. Well, I guess I'm the lucky one to experience this issue. What were my odds, 1:10^9 or so? :). I can live with that.

    Thanks for taking the time to help!

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. NT 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T19:32:58.0366667+00:00

    That screenshot is from OneDrive, but the same behavior exists on the local drive. It has been like that since I installed Win11.

    I can click and drag the divider, but only down to the column size shown in the screenshot. I also tried to change the pixel width of the columns, but the response is erratic and in any case, doesn't reduce the column width beyond what is possible by dragging the divider.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.