I transferred my hard drive to a new machine, my account has a digital license, but I am getting error 0xC004F211 and need help transferring the activation.

Richard Price 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T20:27:22.74+00:00

I transferred my hard drive to a new machine, my account has a digital license, but I am getting error 0xC004F211 and need help transferring the activation.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-23T21:00:01.6+00:00

    Hello,

    Being "digital" alone doesn't determine if the license is transferrable. It is simply a format of the license, not the license type.

    In order to determine if your license is transferrable, and/or how to transfer, I need to know:

    How did you obtain your license initially?

    Did it come with the device preinstalled, or did you purchase it?

    If you purchased it, did you purchase from Microsoft, or from third party?

    Is it originally a Win7/8 key?
    Is it currently on Win10, or 11?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.