Windows Update Installation Error 0x800f0922 (KB5124010)

ilkka ronka 95 Reputation points
2026-09-23T13:39:11.5233333+00:00

Hi,

This is about the September 2026 pre‑release update (KB5124010) (26200.9550). Installation error – 0x800f0922.

The update downloads normally, but the installation gets stuck at around 40%. I have run the DISM/SFC/scannow commands. The EFI partition should have enough free space (see image).

Please avoid AI‑generated responses; I can take care of that part myself.

System specs (in case relevant):

  • OS: Windows 11 Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570‑F Gaming
  • Memory: 32 GB DDR4
  • GPU: MSI / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5070 Ti
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
  • PSU: Fractal Ion Gold 850 W
  • Cooling: Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic (AIO liquid cooler)

indeed

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. David-M 127.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-23T14:15:23.8866667+00:00

    Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.


    KB5124010 is a "Preview" update, essentially a beta version of the update scheduled for release next month. Preview updates are optional and may include experimental fixes or features. Because they haven't undergone full testing, they can sometimes be unstable or fail to install properly.

    Importantly, you're not required to install preview updates, and skipping them won't expose your system to any security risks.


    If KB5124010 continues to fail during installation, you can prevent Windows from attempting to install it by doing the following:

    1. Press "Windows + I" and select "Windows Update";
    2. Toggle off "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available";
    3. Restart (not shutdown) your PC.

    This will stop Windows from downloading optional updates like previews, and your system will only receive standard monthly updates going forward.


    Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.

  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-23T14:27:29.8366667+00:00

    As David said, you can opt out of Preview updates and wait for the 2026-10 LCU.

    However, if you want to troubleshoot the issue, please upload your CBS logs for analysis.

    The logs are available in the following folder. Copy the following folder to the desktop.

    c:\windows\logs\cbs
    

    Zip the folder and share the file on OneDrive or GoFile.io. Post the link here.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. lollipop 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-02T23:25:27.3166667+00:00

    Hello.

    I am facing the same issue.

    It stops at 38%, and Event Viewer records Error 5038 (~\Platform\4.18.26080.4-1\DefenderSessionHelper.exe).

    I have tried the following troubleshooting steps, but none of them resolved the issue:

    • Running DISM and sfc /scannow commands
    • Checking free space on the EFI partition (221.06 MB free out of 256 MB)
    • Disabling BitLocker and UEFI Secure Boot
    • Resetting Windows Update components
    • Resetting the Windows Defender Antimalware Platform
    • Temporarily disabling Windows Defender real-time protection
    • Manually installing KB4052623

    OS: Windows 11 Pro

    CPU: Intel Core i7-10700

    Memory: 64GB DDR4

    GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 Super

    Security Software: Microsoft Defender

    No EDR or similar software installed

    Personal PC (not in an AD environment)


    P.S.

    I think I will wait for the monthly update.

    I apologize, but I prefer not to share the CBS logs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.