Can't connect to apps like spotify, curseforge, discord but can play slippi

Gaudet Pat 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T03:53:35.35+00:00

Hello,

I've been having this issue for the past couple months where apps like Spotify, Discord and Curseforge can't seem to connect to the internet. I've been trying to download the wow forever beta through the battle.net application(which can seem to connect to the internet for some reason) however it always gives me the same error message. For some reason I can play slippi, which is a super smash brothers online matchmaking app. So I can play online against other people using this but for almost everything else, nothing works. My browser works fine and my computer tells me that I am connected to the internet.

I've tried so many things like flushing the DNS. Uninstalling and re-installing the apps. Deleting the apps in regedit. Installing windows 11. Checking my firewalls apps permissions. Turning off my firewall. Clearing caches. And other methods of troubleshooting given to me by AI. Still nothing seems to work. I had an IT guy come to my house for 3 hours and still nothing worked.

I am at a complete loss on how to solve this issue and am seriously considering just buying a new desktop altogether. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emma1-N 13,430 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-23T08:23:02.4733333+00:00

    Welcome Gaudet Pat,

    Thank you for providing the details. Since you've already performed many common networking fixes (DNS flush, app reinstalls, firewall checks, cache clearing, and even upgraded to Windows 11), I'd like to narrow the issue down further before suggesting more advanced troubleshooting.

    • Are you using any VPN, antivirus, security suite, network filter, or parental control software (current or previously installed)?
    • If you create a new local Windows user account, do Spotify or Discord work there?
    • Does the issue occur on both Wi‑Fi and Ethernet (if available)?
    • When Discord or Spotify fails to connect, do you receive a specific error message or code?

    In the meantime, please try this quick test:

    1. Press Windows Key + R, type cmd, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
    2. Run the following commands one at a time:
      • netsh winsock reset
      • netsh int ip reset
    3. Restart the PC.
    4. After restarting, test Discord or Spotify before opening other applications.

    I look forward to your update.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.