Office 365 licence no longer works

Tonya Kragelj 0 Reputation points
2026-09-22T20:28:11.34+00:00

I am running Monterey on a Macbook 14 in Pro 2021. I can no longer get into excel or word. I have a licence that does not expire until Feb. Your email to me said Monterey should be ok for the OS. I can not update excel or word. There is no check for updates under help. I get an error when I try to sign into my account while in excel or word. I get error code 0x0 when I try to login to my account while in excel. If I try restore purchase it says this apple id does not have a paid subscription.

You chatbot did say that Monterey is not sufficient. So which is it? Will upgrading the OS allow me to activate my subscription?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS_726 30,355 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-22T21:09:50.3966667+00:00

    For macOS Monterey 12, Microsoft 365 is no longer supported for current updates.

    The August 2024 release, version 16.88, was the final Office build supporting Monterey. An existing installation may continue to work, but it will not receive security updates, fixes, or new features. Current Microsoft 365 and Office 2024 installations require macOS Sonoma 14 or later.

    You will need to uninstall it. And install the downgraded version (16.88) here: https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_365_and_Office_16.88.24081116_Installer.pkg?apid=ets

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. John Jefferson Doyon 88,925 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T21:06:07.2733333+00:00

    Hi, @Tonya Kragelj

    Monterey is no longer supported for the latest Microsoft 365 updates. Microsoft says Office version 16.88 was the last version supported on macOS Monterey.

    However, Microsoft’s current guidance for the 0x0 / "License Not Found" issue says macOS Monterey 12 or later can still be used for the required Office update. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/support/known-issues/unknown-error-0x0-license-not-found-error-microsoft365-macos

    Yes, upgrading macOS may help, but first check whether your subscription is still active at:

    https://account.microsoft.com/services

    If it shows active until February, please let me know:

    1. Was Microsoft 365 purchased directly from Microsoft or through Apple?
    2. What Office version is installed? In Excel, go to Excel > About Microsoft Excel.

    The "Restore Purchase" message only applies if the subscription was purchased through Apple.


    Click "Add comment" to let me know.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.