A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Sorry, My original reply was for another problem.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
MS Excel 2019.
Since college in 1997, I have been a user of MS Excel.
You changed something in Excel. I always saved my files in .xls so they would be compatible with my old computer that is not online.
Since this weekend:
I open a spreadsheet and make changes. I save the file. when I re-open it, ALL MY FORMATTING GOES AWAY.
Not just the cell colors, but also the merge and center, the alignment, the cell formatting for $'s, everything.
As I said already, everything worked the way it always did until this weekend.
I cannot even copy an old page and change the data. That loses its formatting too.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Sorry, My original reply was for another problem.
Hello Warren R,
I understand why you are frustrated, especially since these same .xls files worked correctly until this weekend. You are also right that simply suggesting .xlsx does not explain a sudden change in previously working files.
Before testing further, please make backup copies of the affected files and avoid saving over the originals.
Please try this controlled test:
Please also provide the exact version shown under File > Account > About Excel, including the full build number, and confirm whether Windows or Office installed an update shortly before the problem began. That information is needed to check whether the behavior is tied to a particular update.
If the problem affects newly created .xls files as well, use Windows Settings > Apps > Installed apps, locate Microsoft Office 2019, select Modify, and run Online Repair.
Feel free reply back to this post and update me on this issue, I'll be happy to help.
I am still checking on this problem using another computer with MS Office 2021. It may take a while, I do not spend much time on my computer these days.
AI answer
This usually points to the workbook being saved in a file format that does not preserve all Excel formatting and features.
Key facts:
What to do:
If the file must stay compatible with older Excel versions, run the compatibility check before saving:
Also note:
References: