BIOS update made my windows not be activated anymore

Paper Man 0 Reputation points
2026-09-21T17:34:10.7633333+00:00

I updated my bio's and now it is saying that my windows is not activated anymore windows was activated on this pc when I bought it I changed the motherboard awhile ago and this never happened but now as soon as I update bios this happens is there anyway I can get my windows back?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-21T17:34:25.05+00:00

    A BIOS update can cause Windows to see the device as changed hardware, which can break activation because the license is tied to the device hardware.

    For Windows 10, try these steps:

    1. Open Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
    2. If Troubleshoot is available, run it. This option is available only when Windows isn’t activated, and an internet connection is required.
    3. If the troubleshooter shows the option to reactivate after a hardware change, use that path.
    4. If there is a Change product key option and there is a valid 25-character product key, enter it there.
    5. Check that the installed edition matches the license. In Settings > Update & Security > Activation, confirm whether the PC is running the same edition the license is for, such as Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. If the edition does not match, Windows will not activate.

    Important detail for a motherboard change:

    • If Windows was preinstalled by the PC manufacturer (OEM) and the motherboard was replaced, the documentation states that a new license is required after a change such as replacing the motherboard.
    • If the motherboard was replaced by the original hardware manufacturer, the PC should reactivate automatically. If it does not, use the product key from the COA card if one was provided.

    If none of the above works, contact Microsoft customer support for activation help.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,915 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T18:13:24.22+00:00

    Hi, I'm Bernard. I'm happy to help!

    Just to confirm, other than updating the BIOS, did you change any hardware on your device? This issue happens when the activation detects changes to the hardware or BIOS. To sort out the issue, I recommend using a phone activation:

    Press the Windows key + R, then type in:

    slui 4

    Then hit OK

    Follow the prompt and call the phone number for phone activation.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.