Why is the option to change taskbar position only present every other reboot into windows 11?

lawkkyy 20 Reputation points
2026-09-21T14:22:30.8933333+00:00

I once saw an option to change taskbar position in Settings -> Personalisation -> Taskbar -> Taskbar behaviours (see attachment). I set it to "left". On the next boot up my taskbar went back to being on the bottom like usual and the option to change its position disappeared from settings completely. On the next reboot the taskbar is back on the left (and I can change it in the settings again). And it just keeps alternating like this every time I turn on my computer. Why does it do that and how do I keep my taskbar at the left side permanently?{120B34FD-D43E-40A8-8B1F-6D743F157481}

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Task Bar
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 936.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-21T15:01:17.7066667+00:00

1

The function to move the taskbar was only introduced in the optional preview update at the end of August and in the September update, this is not a reported bug in that new functionality, the best option to resolve any problems caused by the Windows update is to open the Settings App.

Go to System - Recovery.

Click the 'Reinstall Now' button in the 'Fix problems with Windows Updates' section and wait for that process to complete.

That process should fix any instability in Windows and will not affect your files, settings or installed apps.

2

Also, because this has not been previously reported, it would be best to open the Feedback Hub app and report this to the Windows Developers there.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.