Windows Key not found in system after motherboard swap

Isaac Stokes 0 Reputation points
2026-09-21T13:06:30.3933333+00:00

I swapped my motherboard and when I try to reactivate my WIN 11 PRO it tells me that It cannot find Windows key error code ending in: 4F213. I purchased the Win 11 Pro UPGRADE on my old system and now I cannot get my Windows Key with my new motherboard. I still have the purchase reciept in my account but it doesn't have the product key attached to the recipet.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T13:41:32.5433333+00:00

    Hello,

    When you said you purchased the Win11 Pro to upgrade, you meant the license was the upgrade license, not the full license?

    How much did you pay for that license? A full license runs around USD199 plus tax, and an upgrade license is about half of that price.

    If it is indeed an upgrade license, it must be activated on an ALREADY-ACTIVATED Home edition; it cannot work as a standalone license even though the upgrade portion is transferable.

    So the question is, how did you originally obtain your Home edition license, did it come with the device, or did you purchase it separately?

    Please help provide the information so we can sort out your options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.