How to install Windows 11; error 0xc0e90002 during installation attempt #0xc0e90002

Paul Bat 5 Reputation points
2026-09-21T08:14:23.18+00:00

Hello.I am trying to install Windows 11 on a Lenovo X13 Gen 1. I created the installation media using the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, but the installation attempt fails with error 0xc0e90002. I created a second USB drive using Rufus (to rule out a faulty drive) with an ISO image downloaded from the Microsoft website, but I still get error 0xc0e90002.I tried toggling Secure Boot in the BIOS (enabled vs. disabled), but neither option helps. I cleared the key list, reset the BIOS to default settings, and updated the BIOS to the latest version. Nothing works; I cannot restore the system. I swapped the drive—the drive itself works fine in another computer—but the error persists. I managed to boot a live version of Ubuntu, but I need Windows. F8 don't work. I’ve run out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Screen

#0xc0e90002

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Thomas4-N 22,300 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T07:30:00.1633333+00:00

    Hello Paul Bat,

    Thanks for the screenshots. Your BIOS already shows UEFI Only, CSM disabled, and TPM 2.0 enabled. Since Windows Setup never opens, changing the internal drive to GPT is not the next step.

    Could you check whether the same Recovery screen appears with the installation USB removed? Also, does either Windows installation USB reach the first Setup screen on another PC? That will help establish whether the screen is coming from the existing Windows installation or the USB boot attempt.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Paul Bat 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-21T09:56:56.27+00:00

    I’ve posted pics of the BIOS settings below. The flash drive is set up correctly, and the partition is formatted. An error appears, or—after selecting the flash drive containing the Windows image—it just returns to the BIOS. Booting from the flash drive doesn't start. I’ve also tried different USB ports.
    aa

    bb

    cc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Abhishek U 170 Reputation points
    2026-09-21T08:47:00.3633333+00:00

    Hello @Paul Bat

    The error 0xc0e90002 during Windows 11 installation usually points to a hardware compatibility or firmware/driver mismatch rather than a bad USB stick.
    Here are some things that you could try.

    1. In BIOS, confirm TPM 2.0 is enabled (sometimes listed as “Security Chip” or “Intel PTT”).
    2. Secure Boot can stay enabled, but if toggling didn’t help, leave it at default.
    3. Ensure the USB installer is booting in UEFI mode, not Legacy/CSM.
    4. In BIOS, disable Legacy Support/CSM entirely.

    Also Windows 11 requires GPT partition for UEFI boot.

    If your drive is MBR, reformat it to GPT.

    Try this let us know if this works.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.