My child's account was compromised. What steps can I take to recover it as a parent

natrlhy 0 Reputation points
2026-09-21T00:53:21.96+00:00

My daughter’s long-standing Microsoft child account is still visible in my Microsoft Family account. It now shows an Outlook address we never knowingly created, and the account is asking for verification through an unknown Gmail address. Her original Gmail address is no longer recognized as a login. The standard recovery form has failed. I need someone to review whether the alias or security information on this child account was changed.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ben4724 4,645 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T19:21:32.3466667+00:00

    Sorry to hear about that! Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to resolve the issue since I don't have account access as I am just a fellow user like you. I’ll pass this along to someone who can take a closer look instead.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Ben4724 4,645 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T06:12:42.6866667+00:00

    Apologies for the delay! I will be responding you in short period of time and regret for a delay in response. As I am merely a fellow user trying to provide insight and information that may be helpful to others.

    About the message you see. It can really happen specially if the hacker has deleted the email address already hence you will get the Microsoft account does not exist message.

    If you follow the guide correctly, it should lead you to a form https://aka.ms/recovermyaccount you should get an email response within 4 hours the latest. The team on the other end will help work through the issue with you.

    Note: The form is hosted on the Xbox support site but is available to all Microsoft account holders not just those who use Xbox.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Ben4724 4,645 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T04:59:45.92+00:00

    Hi there! Sorry to hear about what happened with your child's account.

    If the hacker changed the email address or security information and you can no longer sign in, the best next step would be to follow Microsoft's guide for a hacked or compromised account, rather than only submitting the ACSR form:

    Microsoft account hacked or compromised

    Just to clarify, we're fellow Microsoft Community members here, so I also don't have access to your child's account, security information, or Microsoft's internal account recovery systems. Only Microsoft can review the account and make changes to it.

    Hopefully the recovery steps above help you get the account back.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.