Refresh rate changes from 160 Hz to 60 Hz when changing resolution

Francesco Locorriere 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T12:27:06.99+00:00

When I set my monitor to a high refresh rate, such as 160 Hz, everything works correctly. However, whenever I change the screen resolution, the refresh rate automatically resets to 60 Hz.

For example, if I set the monitor to 4K at 160 Hz and then switch to 1080p, Windows changes the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Even if I then switch back to 4K, the refresh rate remains at 60 Hz instead of returning to 160 Hz. I have to manually select 160 Hz again.

This happens when changing between different resolutions, not just with one specific resolution. Changing to any other resolution causes the refresh rate to reset to 60 Hz.

The expected behavior should be that once I select 160 Hz, Windows keeps 160 Hz regardless of the resolution I switch to. For example, if I select 160 Hz, switching between 4K, 1080p, or any other supported resolution should keep the refresh rate at 160 Hz automatically, without resetting it to 60 Hz.

My system:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5060

Monitor: Gigabyte G27U

Operating system: Windows 10

I have also experienced the same issue on Windows 11, so the problem does not appear to be limited to Windows 10.

The monitor and GPU support 160 Hz correctly. The issue is that changing the resolution causes Windows to override the selected refresh rate and switch it to 60 Hz. The selected refresh rate should remain at 160 Hz after every resolution change, as long as that refresh rate is supported at the selected resolution.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefano Sirri 3,170 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T21:48:04.6366667+00:00

    Yes. Your description identifies a real usability gap: resolution and refresh rate are separate parts of a display mode, and current Windows/NVIDIA interfaces don't provide a simple user-facing rule such as “whenever I change resolution, use 160 Hz if supported.” Microsoft's display APIs likewise describe resolution and refresh frequency as separate mode parameters.

    Interestingly, NVIDIA historically provided exactly this sort of functionality. Older NVIDIA software had Refresh Rate Overrides, allowing a refresh rate to be associated with individual resolutions. NVIDIA's own older documentation describes selecting refresh-rate overrides for each resolution.

    You made the right choice contacting NVIDIA.


    Since you're switching resolutions specifically for games, I would avoid changing the Windows desktop resolution whenever possible. Keep the desktop at 3840×2160 @ 160 Hz, and select 1920×1080, 2560×1440, etc. inside each game's graphics settings. Exclusive-fullscreen games can request their own display mode, while borderless games can instead use rendering resolution/scaling without changing the desktop mode.

    If you actually need the Windows desktop to switch, there is another solution: create shortcuts/scripts that request the entire display mode, for example:

    • 4K → 3840×2160 @ 160 Hz
    • 1440p → 2560×1440 @ 160 Hz
    • 1080p → 1920×1080 @ 160 Hz

    Windows exposes APIs capable of requesting resolution and dmDisplayFrequency together, so a utility/script can change both simultaneously rather than changing the resolution first and then fixing the refresh rate. Microsoft Learn

    That would effectively recreate the convenience you're missing: one shortcut for 1080p/160, another for 4K/160, etc.


    Technically, yes. Windows could provide something like “Preferred refresh rate: 160 Hz” or remember the last refresh rate selected for every resolution.

    Unfortunately I can't share your improvements suggestions to Microsoft, please share your feedback with Microsoft at this page:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/send-feedback-to-microsoft-with-the-feedback-hub-app

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Francesco Locorriere 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-20T18:05:33.12+00:00

    With the old NVIDIA Control Panel, I could create a preset, which made this much easier.

    It’s very annoying to have to select the correct refresh rate (Hz) again every time I change the resolution. I would prefer to avoid having to do this every time.

    I’m also contacting NVIDIA to find out more about this issue, but they have now removed the old NVIDIA Control Panel, and the NVIDIA App behaves the same way as Windows. I have to manually select the refresh rate every time, going from 60 Hz back to the refresh rate I prefer. This happens with all refresh rates (120, 144, and 160 Hz). Every time I change the resolution, it switches back to 60 Hz, and I have to manually change it back to a higher refresh rate.

    The reason I change resolutions is that some games run well in 4K, while others run better at 1080p.

    I believe this is a common issue for PC gamers, so it would be great to have an option to set a fixed refresh rate, or at least select it once and have Windows remember it for each resolution.

    Is there any way to avoid this inconvenience, perhaps through a future Windows update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Stefano Sirri 3,170 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T13:17:48.37+00:00

    Hi , Thank you for reaching out! My name is Stefano and it’s my pleasure to assist you today.


    What you’re seeing is generally normal Windows/display-driver behavior, rather than evidence that the RTX 5060 or Gigabyte G27U cannot operate at 160 Hz.

    Windows does not treat refresh rate as one global setting that must remain fixed when resolution changes. A display mode is effectively a combination of resolution + refresh rate + timing/format parameters.

    When you switch from 3840×2160 to 1920×1080, Windows/your NVIDIA driver selects a new display mode, and that mode can default to 60 Hz. Returning to 4K does not necessarily restore the previously selected 160-Hz mode.

    So, unfortunately, the expectation that selecting 160 Hz once should force every subsequently selected resolution to use 160 Hz isn't how Windows currently guarantees mode switching.


    So, what you've to do si re-apply the Refresh Rate in Windows Settings

    1. Right-click your desktop and select Display settings.
    2. Scroll down and click Advanced display (or Advanced display settings).
    3. Under the Refresh rate dropdown menu, select 160 Hz again

    Please, see the microsoft support article below:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/display-graphics/change-the-refresh-rate-on-your-monitor-in-windows


    Thing worth trying, lock the Refresh Rate in Your GPU Control Panel

    Be sure you've installed the most updated NVIDIA drivers.

    Acces the NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Change resolution

    For each resolution you actually use, select the resolution and explicitly choose 160 Hz under Refresh rate, then click Apply.

    Pay particular attention to the resolution list. NVIDIA Control Panel can show resolutions in separate groups such as Ultra HD, HD, SD and PC. If 1920×1080 is available under PC, try that version and select 160 Hz. Different entries can correspond to different timing modes, and the TV-style entries often favor 60 Hz.


    Kind regards,

    Stefano

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.