How to keep the MS Store app off the task bar, in windows 11. I can unpin it after starting my pc, but it comes back after every start up

John Cloud 20 Reputation points
2026-09-19T18:30:36.3566667+00:00

I just want to stop the store app from showing up in the task bar at startup, I can unpin it after start up, but it is back after the next start.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Task Bar

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Clary-N 16,565 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-23T06:22:33.7433333+00:00

    Hi John Cloud,

    Have you had a chance to try the taskbar reset suggested above and did the Store icon return after restarting?

    Could you also confirm whether this is your personal PC or one managed by a workplace or school and whether any other icons return after you unpin them?

    As another test, try creating a temporary local user account:

    1. Open Settings > Accounts > Other users.
    2. Under Add other user, select Add account.
    3. Select "I don’t have this person’s sign-in information", then "Add a user without a Microsoft account".
    4. Sign out, sign in to the new account, unpin the Store icon and restart the PC.

    If the Store stays unpinned there, the issue may be limited to your original profile. Please let me know what happens after the restart, I’ll be happy to help with the next step.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.