A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Had a new release on my ipad, seems to be saving ok now, just very slowly.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I try to save excel files on iPad the save does not work. This has occurred since around September 15 or 16 2026.
I read some information and tried all the various proposals including turning iPad on and off, deleting and restarting excel, moving files to onedrive, clearing excel settings including sign in credentials.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
I am having the same issue, file does not save. I tried with the new file with very few entries and it saved ok.
But the sheet I am working in will not save from my iPad, however it is fine on the PC.
One other thing, when editing, I click on a cell with an entry already, to edit it, however the existing cell contents do not appear in the top bar, so you have to guess what you are changing. Been like this since the last update.
Hi Derek Lester
Thank you for sharing these additional details. Your saving issue appears consistent with the behavior reported by the other users: a small new workbook saves, but an existing workbook hangs on the iPad even though it works correctly on a PC.
The missing cell contents in the formula bar after selecting an existing cell is an additional issue that should also be reported.
Since both problems began after the latest update, please refer to my other reply and submit Send Feedback from Excel, including:
If possible, include screenshots or a screen recording. Until this is resolved, I recommend editing important workbooks on the PC to avoid losing changes.
This problem has occurred on my iPhone and iPad.
The new file is working fine.
ALL older files seem to have the same problem.
When opening them the cloud symbol has a rotating symbol below it.
I have contacted Microsoft Support and after about an hour they confirmed it is a known problem being worked on.
I gave feedback that it would be helpful for users or this Community to be informed upfront.
Xavier thanks for your efforts.
You won’t believe it, but I’ve sorted out the problem in Excel :))
Upload your Excel file to a cloud storage service. Download it to your PC from there and save it with the .xlsx extension. When I uploaded it back to my iPad from the cloud, the saving issue was resolved.
You won’t believe it, but I’ve sorted out the problem in Excel :))
Upload your Excel file to a cloud storage service. Download it to your PC from there and save it with the .xlsx extension. When I uploaded it back to my iPad from the cloud, the saving issue was resolved.
This will not work for me.
The will not upload.
I don’t have a PC. Only iPad and iPhone
Lets face it, it was broken in the latest release and Microsoft need to fix it.
Hi John, I'm sorry to hear that. You'll have to contact Microsoft for support.
Thank you Bulent Keskin but this isn’t satisfactory. They, Microsoft, have messed up again. They should sort it out pronto.
I’m not very computer literate and nor should I have to be.
I have the same issue since downloading ios27. Microsoft please update excel for IOS27. Its horrible that you cant save anything
Hello Ricardo Ponce
Thank you for adding your report.
Since you are experiencing the same saving problem after updating iPadOS, please also refer to my earlier replies in this thread regarding submitting Send Feedback from Excel so the issue can be reported with your Excel and iPadOS version details.
In the meantime, another user has shared a workaround that worked for him:
Since this is a community-reported workaround rather than a confirmed Microsoft fix, so I recommend keeping a backup of the original file first.
Thank you for sharing this. I’m glad you found a workaround that resolved the saving problem on your iPad.
I would still encourage you to submit Send Feedback from Excel so Microsoft receives reports about the underlying iPad saving issue.
Thanks again for coming back and sharing what worked for you. It may be very useful to others following this thread.
Hi Derek Lester
I understand your frustration
Given that the saving problem appeared after the recent update and has been reported by multiple users, Microsoft will need to address the underlying issue.
In the meantime, user Bulent Keskin shared a workaround that may be worth trying:
GM, having the same issue here. I’m using Sharepoint, and every time I save a file the screen gets freeze or if I close the excel you get a notification “closing” which never end… any update on this ? I really need a Fix to continue working… not able to get a MAC …. Working on share point on line is not the best experience ! HELP
Thanks for reporting this.
I understand how disruptive this is, especially when you rely on SharePoint and Excel on your iPad for work.
Please refer to the replies above regarding Send Feedback to Microsoft.
In the meantime, Another user shared a community workaround for you to try:
Download the affected workbook to a PC, open it in desktop Excel, make a small change and save it as a fresh .xlsx copy, then upload it back to SharePoint and test it on the iPad.
Please keep a backup first. This is a community workaround, not an official fix, and it has not worked for everyone.
I am experiencing the same issue on an iPad Pro 11-inch (M4), iPadOS 27.0, Excel build 2.114.26092517. Files are stored in OneDrive with AutoSave enabled. Excel intermittently remains stuck on “Saving…” indefinitely, and if the app is closed, all changes since the last successful synchronization are lost. I have also submitted feedback directly from Excel.
Hello Andres Romero
Thank you for providing the detailed device, iPadOS, and Excel build information, and for already submitting feedback from Excel.
Your report is consistent with the saving issue described by others, particularly that Excel remains stuck on Saving and unsynchronized changes may be lost.
As a temporary community-reported workaround, you may try downloading the affected workbook to a PC, opening it in desktop Excel, making a small change, saving it as a fresh .xlsx copy, and uploading it back to OneDrive. Please keep a backup first, as this is not an official fix and has not worked for everyone.
For important edits, please continue using the PC version where possible to avoid data loss.
Had a new release on my ipad, seems to be saving ok now, just very slowly.
Had a new release on iPad today, doesn’t fix the issue though 🤬🤬🤬
Woow did Microsoft confirm any information related?
Doesn’t say what’s in the release, clearly not the fix we all need.🤬🤬
Tried with Excel on an Android tablet, loads, edits and saves fine, so the issue is with the Apple app.
Hi Dereck, thank you for the answer but not able tu buy another tablet just to test. I have an IPad Pro…
Me too, doesn’t save on my ipad pro.
An also, using web is the worst experience for IPAD
Hello Peter Murray,
Thank you for confirming what you have already tried.
Since restarting the iPad, reinstalling Excel, resetting its settings and credentials, and changing the storage location did not help, here what you can try next.
First, please protect any changes that are still visible in the workbook. If possible, copy the affected sheets or data into a new blank workbook, or use Excel for the web or Excel on another device to continue working with the cloud copy.
To determine whether this is a workbook-specific problem or an Excel for iPad problem, please test the following:
Please also provide:
Please avoid repeatedly force-closing Excel while unsaved changes remain visible, as this could result in those changes being lost.
Feel free reply back to this post and update me on this issue, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks Xavier but unfortunately it still has not fixed it. The issues have arisen since last excel update from 15 September if that is of any use.
I did create a blank workbook with little data and that did save but when I used an unrelated existing workbook it did not save.
Available storage is 39 GB.
Excel version is 2.113.5
iPadOS 27
The freeze appears to impact all workbooks
Excel does not display any of those messages but does show a message “On this device you can view or delete data linked from other workbooks, but not create or edit links”
Kind regards
Pete
The same issue is occuring to me after the Excel ipad update on 9/1/4/2026 to version 2.113.5 (26091116) on ipad ios 18.7.8 on an ipad 10th generation. The issue happens when opening an existing dropbox workbook file or a local ipad one. Upon saving or save as, the excel app displays a saving dialog and hangs and I cannot do anything else resulting in lost data changes. Occurs probably about 75%+ of the time but not 100%. Happens with many different workbook files. Have seen many other isers posting on this same issue. No existing workarounds able to fix it. Definitely a bug.
Still happening with update today 9/21/2026, ipad Excel version 2.114.1
Hello,
Thank you both for providing the detailed version and test results.
Since the problem affects multiple existing workbooks stored in different locations, occurs on different iPadOS versions, and continues in Excel versions 2.113.5 and 2.114.1, this appears to require investigation by support team
A new blank workbook saving successfully also suggests that storage capacity is not the immediate problem.
The message about linked data is informational and may indicate that the existing workbooks contain external links, but it does not explain why Excel becomes unresponsive during Save or Save As across multiple files.
Please submit an in-app report from Excel:
Please include:
I also recommend contacting Microsoft Support, particularly because unsaved changes are being lost. Feedback sends diagnostics to the product team, while Support can document the incident and use the appropriate escalation channel.
Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors, including external Microsoft employees, are not allowed to directly interfere with Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited solely to providing technical guidance on reported incidents, requests, or ideas.
Until the issue is resolved, please avoid making critical edits in the iPad app. If possible, use Excel for the web, Windows, or Mac for the affected workbooks and keep a backup copy.
Kind regards
I have the same problem too
for me, I have the same problem. the details are as follows
-problem savings hang accross my two ipads and my iphone with excel on ios.
-the problem is on both saving on onedrive and locally on "this ipad" and i have plenty of space left
I’m also having this issue as of about 1 week ago. Existing OneDrive stored files hang when trying to exit and data is lost. New files seem to save ok. Excel version is 2.114.26092010 and iPad is on iOS 27.0
Hi,
Thank you for adding these details.
Your reports provide useful additional information, particularly that the saving problem affects existing workbooks across multiple iPads/iPhones and different storage locations, while Android can save the same files and newly created workbooks may still save successfully.
Since the troubleshooting steps have already been covered earlier in this thread, I would avoid repeating them. Please refer to my reply to Pete above and submit Send Feedback directly from Excel for iOS/iPadOS, including your exact Excel version/build, device model, iOS/iPadOS version, storage location, and the fact that existing files hang while saving and changes can be lost.
These additional reports are useful because they show the issue is not limited to one workbook, device, or storage location. I would also recommend contacting Microsoft Support if the problem continues.
You won’t believe it, but I’ve sorted out the problem in Excel :))
Upload your Excel file to a cloud storage service. Download it to your PC from there and save it with the .xlsx extension. When I uploaded it back to my iPad from the cloud, the saving issue was resolved.
I have already tried the download to PC...and it does not work !
Download it to your PC, make a change to your file, and then save it or use “Save As.” Then reload it onto your iPad—this should resolve the issue. In fact, one solution video suggests opening a blank Excel sheet on your iPad, making a change, and saving it. If you can do this repeatedly, it means you’ve resolved the issue using the method I described. However, I’d like to draw your attention to one thing. You’ll need to have iPadOS 27 and an updated version of Excel.
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
I’m having the exact same problem. I done a load or work, went to close the page, but all I got was the spinning circle saying closing. Left it for 10 mins, went back still doing it. So I swiped up and closed excel, went back in, no work. Same with my phone. But it does work on my pc laptop, and when I go back on my iPad the work I done from the pc is on my iPad. But I can’t do it the other way. So frustrating.
So is it a problem with Microsoft and do they no about the problem.
Hi Xavier, I have the same problem. In my case I had an IPad Pro and downloaded the latest version of excel today. However, not able to save files or close them….I got an error “Closing” and never finish the task…Do you have any update if you arleady have a fix for this issue ?
Xavier,
Do you have any update on the bug resolution? We are all paying for a license that is not performing well.
Please we need an update on when this will be fixed
All the same issues here, file was able to be saved on Mac book but not on iPad.
iPad Pro 2024
iPad os version 26.6.2excel version 2.114.1 (26092010)
146.9 gb storage available
I have the same problem with both iPhone and iPad.
Furthermore, it often partly saves changes - it looks like the more changes you make before closing, the longer it takes to close and may not complete the task
A temporary interim solution is to turn on Autosave. Depending on your luck, it might save your work when you exit the app. Or it hangs and then it doesn’t.
I suspect this saving bug occurred only after updating to iOS 26.6.2.
If Apple was subtly trying to encourage usage on Numbers instead of Excel, well it worked - I am using Numbers on the files that I have to update daily. Simply don’t have the time or patience to wait for Apple to fix this saving bug.