Configured Icon for pdf files is overridden seemingly by MS Edge.

Gavin Williams 801 Reputation points
2026-09-04T14:43:18.5833333+00:00

I used FileTypesMan to change icons for pdfs, it seemed to work for a couple of days, but today when I booted up, it has reverted to this...
Screenshot 2026-09-05 003924

FileTypesMan says this is the icon...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\152.0.4191.62\msedge.exe,11

Should I keep icons in a particular place when customizing? I would have thought Windows would make a copy of any selected icon and place it in the appropriate place automatically once assigned.

Why is this happening? And it shouldn't happen, I would consider this an issue with Windows. It looks to me like Windows needs a customization overhaul.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Themes
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Horace Wiggins 535 Reputation points
    2026-09-07T21:13:44.02+00:00

    Did the icon you created have a .ico file name? Were you able to right click on the PDF file and select to change the icon? You would have to select a new icon to use.

    https://fileinfo.com/extension/ico

    https://fileinfo.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-04T16:40:50.5633333+00:00

    Hi Gavin,

    Microsoft Edge updater resets the .pdf icon registry settings. Please do the following:

    Customize the PDF icon using FileTypesMan.

    Then, open Command Prompt and run the following command:

    reg query HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEdgePDF\DefaultIcon
    

    Post the output here.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.