The activation server determined the specific product key has been blocked.

Dale Walsh 0 Reputation points
2026-08-28T02:25:44.5266667+00:00

After several month away I return home and begin using my computers like I always have in the past and after about 30 minutes the screen goes black and then gives me a window telling me this copy of windows is not genuine which is pure BS.

I try the computer in my man-cave and begin working on my files and after about 25 minutes I get the same message telling me this copy of windows is not genuine.

After purchasing, installing and many years of use I know that the copies of windows are in fact genuine so clearly there is something going on with Microsoft activation.

There is absolutely no option to upgrade to newer versions of windows because the software I rely on requires XP-Mode and Windows 7, online doesn't give me any options to activate that work and reaching a person at Microsoft doesn't appear to be an option now.

I am angry now because my computers don't operate correctly so I need to have direct voice contact with a person who can resolve these errors that are clearly something that Microsoft created because I can't wait 2 weeks playing with email waiting for someone with a brain who can fix the problem that someone else at Microsoft created.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Dale Walsh 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-25T02:03:31.39+00:00

    Well, I am extremely disappointed in Microsoft's lack of response in this matter.

    There is no way to contact a person by any method at Microsoft and since I legally purchased the software in question, I am entitled to use it since Microsoft did not fix the problem on their end and unblock the product keys and no one hear is able to do anything but offer suggestion and instructions that are totally useless, solving it myself was my only option.

    I do stress "suggestion and instruction that are totally useless" as following them has left me worse off than when I started with no resolution in site.

    Basically, at this point, it is my opinion that the only way to really help anyone who has a product key issue is for the person offering assistance do the actual work themselves by remote access instead of wasting time with instruction that yield no results but from what I can tell, there is not one person in the public community who is capable of resolving product key issues which forces me to conclude, asking for help is a waste of time and this post is evidence of that.

    Now, because Microsoft provides no human contact and no person from Microsoft has addressed the issue I was experiencing, I was forced to write code (a Windows 7 app) that provides permanent activation in a matter of seconds, I have tested the app on both computers and have successfully activated both.

    While I did not test it, it has been suggested that the application could be used to activate other versions of Windows but since I don't own any other versions of Windows I was unable to confirm this.

    Since I no longer have a need for the application or source code, I donated it to a friend in China to use for educational purposes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Muhammad Bilal Khan 85 Reputation points
    2026-09-12T08:05:47.0433333+00:00

    Hey @Dale Walsh
    I can understand the frustration, especially if the computers have been activated and working for years. The specific error “The activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked” points more toward an activation/product-key issue than a normal Windows Genuine notification.

    Before reinstalling or making major changes, I’d check the activation status:

    1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.

    Run:

    slmgr /dlv
    

    and then:

    slmgr /xpr
    

    In the /dlv output, check the Description, License Status, and the last 5 characters of the installed product key. Don't post the full product key publicly.

    If this is an older Windows 7 installation, also check whether the license is OEM, Retail, or Volume/KMS. A blocked key can happen for different reasons, including a key that has subsequently been blocked by Microsoft's activation service.

    If the key is genuinely licensed and has been working for years, repeatedly entering the same key or running the activation troubleshooter usually won't resolve a server-side blocked-key condition. At that point, Microsoft Support/licensing would need to verify the key and activation history.

    Since you specifically depend on Windows 7/XP Mode, I would also avoid upgrading, reinstalling, or deleting the existing installation until the licensing issue is understood. If the old environment contains important applications or files, make a backup first.

    If you can post the Windows edition (for example Windows 7 Professional), License Status, and Description from slmgr /dlv, with the product key itself removed, that would give us much more information about what is actually being blocked.I can understand the frustration, especially if the computers have been activated and working for years. The specific error “The activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked” points more toward an activation/product-key issue than a normal Windows Genuine notification.

    Before reinstalling or making major changes, I’d check the activation status:

    Open Command Prompt as Administrator.

    Run:

    slmgr /dlv
    

    and then:

    slmgr /xpr
    

    In the /dlv output, check the Description, License Status, and the last 5 characters of the installed product key. Don't post the full product key publicly.

    If this is an older Windows 7 installation, also check whether the license is OEM, Retail, or Volume/KMS. A blocked key can happen for different reasons, including a key that has subsequently been blocked by Microsoft's activation service.

    If the key is genuinely licensed and has been working for years, repeatedly entering the same key or running the activation troubleshooter usually won't resolve a server-side blocked-key condition. At that point, Microsoft Support/licensing would need to verify the key and activation history.

    Since you specifically depend on Windows 7/XP Mode, I would also avoid upgrading, reinstalling, or deleting the existing installation until the licensing issue is understood. If the old environment contains important applications or files, make a backup first.

    If you can post the Windows edition (for example Windows 7 Professional), License Status, and Description from slmgr /dlv, with the product key itself removed, that would give us much more information about what is actually being blocked.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Hendrix-V 19,470 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-08-28T06:41:01.6+00:00

    Hi Dale Walsh,

    I understand how concerning this is, especially when systems that have been working for years suddenly begin reporting that Windows is not genuine.

    Since both computers are showing similar activation messages, it would be helpful to first confirm the current licensing status and identify whether Windows is detecting a blocked product key or another activation-related issue.

    Please try the following checks:

    1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
    2. Run: slmgr /dlv
    3. Then run: slmgr /xpr
    4. Take screenshots of the results and share them in your reply.

    Also check that the system date, time, and time zone are correct on both computers, as incorrect settings can sometimes affect activation validation.

    If the output confirms that the product key has been blocked, please let us know:

    • Which edition of Windows is installed (for example, Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate).
    • Whether the license was purchased as a retail copy or came preinstalled with the PC.
    • Whether any hardware changes were made before the issue started.

    These details will help determine the most appropriate next steps and whether additional activation assistance may be required.

    Let me know if you need further assistance, feel free to ask me by clicking "Add Comment" or "Add Answer" if you cannot add comment so your response will be visible. Thanks for your effort.


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.