Phone Link suddenly not showing my side of the conversation, but it shows images I send

2026-06-14T18:02:19.4+00:00

I love Phone Link on my Win 11 Desktop when I'm home instead of using my phone for texting. It's connected to my Galaxy S26 Android through Link to Windows. But all of a sudden, it's not showing what I text I send from my phone....just the other person's responses. Oddly, if I send a photo from my phone, THAT does show up on Phone link.

I tried getting some support from ChatGPT and it suggested a test by going onto my phone and turning on an option that said "Only send SMS and MMS messages". When I did this, the texts started reflecting in Phone Link again. And turning it off again stopped that. But I don't want that option on because I'd lose many of the benefits of the RCS sending, like seeing "Typing..." on their end, seeing "Read" receipts, and more nice functions that ChatGPT tells me would be lost with that option on. I just want it to work like it did only days ago.

ChatGPT also suggested i delete all cache in Link to Windows and reboot the phone and computer. Didn't help.
I checked if PhoneLink was on the most recent version and it says that it is. My link to Windows version is 1.26051.98.0 ; I'm not sure if there's a way to check for updates, but I see that there's an option on the three dots for "Uninstall updates" so that leads me to believe it always updates to the latest version, perhaps.

Hoping someone has ideas and that maybe it's happening to lots of people with some bug released?

Thanks! - milo

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Connect Phone and PC
0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Nancy Aubitz Hunter 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T20:02:07.5266667+00:00

    From above question: I love Phone Link on my Win 11 Desktop when I'm home instead of using my phone for texting. It's connected to my Galaxy S26 Android through Link to Windows. But all of a sudden, it's not showing what I text I send from my phone....just the other person's responses. Oddly, if I send a photo from my phone, THAT does show up on Phone link.

    This happened this weekend but just the opposite. I can see my sent text messages on my computer and on my phone, but I can only see responses on my phone. I use Windows 11 and have a Samsung S23Plus. I have tried so many things to fix it and I'm at my whits end. I've been using RCS. I cleared Cache. I tried setting it to SMS/MMS and that didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Barbara Smith 0 Reputation points
    2026-06-25T17:44:14.19+00:00

    My experience is related to a very recent update (days) to the Phone Link app on windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Lychee-Ng 28,915 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-06-16T09:48:54.8066667+00:00

    Hi Milo Shapiro of IMPROVentures,

    I completely understand how frustrating it is when everything was working fine, then suddenly broke without you changing anything. From your description and user reports, it’s reasonable to suspect a change or regression in RCS handling.

    Since you mentioned that everything is up-to-date, I’m just wondering, if your Galaxy S26 Samsung phone updated to One UI 8.5 recently? Or enrolled for the One UI 9 Beta? Newer system builds like those can sometimes introduce incompatibilities. 

    Unfortunately, if it’s a backend behavior, there's unlikely anything we can do from user-side, besides waiting for the next updates. Still, I can give you some suggestions to see if anything can improve the situation. They’re all safe/reversible so that’s a plus:

    1 - Repair / Reset the application

    • On your PC, open Settings > System > System components
    • Find Phone Link > click three-dot > Advanced options
    • Scroll to the bottom, click Terminate > then Repair
    • If the issue persists, go back and click Reset.

    2 - Uninstall the latest updates to phone services

    • On your phone, also open Settings > Apps
    • Search and tap Link to Windows Service (if found)
    • Click the three-dot > uninstall updates > back to default.

    Overall, since this is sudden and relates to a specific feature, it points to a regression, not a misconfiguration. If none of the above helps, our best next steps are to report it and wait for an app update.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Milo Shapiro of IMPROVentures 5 Reputation points
    2026-06-14T18:56:13.91+00:00

    I've been using the combo of PhoneLink and LinkToWindows for many years successfully and this absolutely all worked great until this week. I've had the s26 for months. So this is not normal behavior. Either something changed on my phone, my computer, or there was indeed a regression in how one of the two tools worked. I'll definitely take your suggestion to do those two feedback forms, thank you.

    Any other suggestions from you or anyone reading this thread would be appreciated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. AI answer

    2026-06-14T18:02:34.3833333+00:00

    Messages sent and received in Phone Link depend on how messaging is handled on the Android device. Phone Link supports SMS and MMS, and RCS only on select Samsung devices under specific conditions.

    When RCS is enabled and messages are sent as RCS instead of SMS/MMS, Phone Link may not be able to display those messages. This matches the behavior described: when “Only send SMS and MMS messages” is turned on, Phone Link shows the sent messages again; when it is turned off (allowing RCS), sent messages stop appearing, while MMS photos can still appear because they are handled as MMS.

    From the available information, there is no supported configuration change in Phone Link or Link to Windows that restores full RCS features (typing indicators, read receipts, etc.) while also making all RCS messages appear reliably in Phone Link. The supported and documented behavior is that Phone Link works with SMS and MMS, and RCS is only available for select Samsung devices and is not guaranteed to behave identically to the native Messages app in all scenarios.

    Given this, the practical options are:

    1. Keep “Only send SMS and MMS messages” enabled so that all messages appear in Phone Link (but lose some RCS features).
    2. Turn that option off to keep full RCS features on the phone, accepting that Phone Link may not show all sent messages.
    3. Monitor for app updates to Phone Link and Link to Windows that might improve RCS handling, and use the built-in feedback mechanisms to report the issue so it can be investigated as a potential regression:
      • On the PC: Phone Link → Settings → Feedback & Community → Send feedback.
      • On Android: Link to Windows → Settings → Provide Feedback.

    If this started only recently, it may be a regression in a recent update, but the documented and supported behavior remains that SMS/MMS are fully supported, and RCS support is limited.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.