How to clear error 403 forbidden?

Kim 5 Reputation points
2026-05-18T22:24:18.33+00:00

How can I clear the error 403 forbidden? Every time I try to use a site that I have used frequently in the past I receive this error message.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,595 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-05-18T23:43:44.43+00:00

    Hi, I'm Bernard. I'm happy to help!

    This error means that there is an access denied on the specific website. Just to confirm, is it only happening to a specific website? Have you tried using a different device with the same internet network just to check if there is an internet issue on the PC? If this is only happening to a certain device, kindly follow the steps below:

    These sets of commands will reset the internet connection and recalibrate the internet settings you have.

    Press Windows Key + X.

    Click on the Terminal (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (admin)

    Type the following commands, and hit Enter after each command:

    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    

    If the same issue follows the methods below:

    Do a clean boot:

    A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

    • In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.
    • On the Services tab of System Configuration, select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select Open Task Manager.
    • Under Startup in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then select Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK. When you restart the computer, it's in a clean boot environment.

    Troubleshooting reference:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

    Note: This is a public forum. I may respond shortly, but I apologize in advance for any delays. I am simply a fellow user trying to provide helpful insights and information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-05-18T22:24:27.23+00:00

    On a home Windows 11 PC, a 403 Forbidden error usually means the website or service is blocking access. Try these steps in order:

    1. Open the site in a private/incognito window
      • In Microsoft Edge, use InPrivate mode.
      • In Google Chrome, use Incognito mode.
      • Then sign in to the site and try again.
    2. Clear browser cache and cookies
      • If the site works in private mode but not in a normal window, clear the browser cache and cookies, then restart the browser and try again.
    3. Temporarily disable blocking/accelerator software
      • Turn off ad blockers, web accelerators, download assistants, and third‑party security/antivirus tools that integrate with the browser.
      • Try the site again.
    4. Reset the browser
      • Reset Edge/Chrome/Firefox settings to default, then retry.
    5. Check from another network or device
      • If the same 403 appears on all devices on the same network, the site may be blocking the IP or region. In that case, contact the site owner or support for help.

    If the 403 appears specifically on Microsoft 365 services (OneDrive/SharePoint/Outlook on the web), and private mode + cache clear do not help, contact the Microsoft 365/SharePoint/OneDrive administrator for the account being used.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
  3. Steve B 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T05:32:38.67+00:00

    I got the same problem using Goggle or Google Chrome but found a very simple fix - Open Google search engine page as normal, on the top right of the page click the 9 dots, app page opens then click G search, the search page then refreshes itself, after doing this there is no more 403 error code. I am from the UK so hope solution helps others - Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.