can I configure windows hello use my usb camera for facial recognition

Crites, Doug VYC-TSD 0 Reputation points
2026-04-16T15:08:48.8166667+00:00

can I configure windows hello use my usb camera for facial recognition

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emma1-N 13,410 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-04-17T03:54:32.07+00:00

    Welcome Crites, Doug VYC-TSD,

    I understand how frustrating it can be when you are asking whether you can configure Windows Hello to use a USB camera for facial recognition on Windows 11. 

    Before we proceed, I need to narrow this down a bit:  

    • Are you using Windows 11 Home or Windows 11 Pro on this device? 
    •  In Device Manager, does your USB camera appear under Cameras as an infrared or Windows Hello camera? 

    I look forward to your reply so we can continue working together to address the issue.    

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-04-16T15:43:23.02+00:00

    Windows Hello facial recognition only works with specific cameras, and most USB webcams won’t qualify.

    In order for facial recognition to work, your camera needs to have the infrared feature. If it is just a regular camera, even if it is high definition, it will not support facial recognition.

    What kind of camera are you using, like brand/model?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.