Hi James. Thanks for clarifying, let me know how it goes.
How do I make the keyboard appear when I touch a text field on my Win 11 tablet?
I just purchased a Windows 11 tablet. Long story short, I had to reset it to factory defaults and start from scratch setting it up. After I got it all set up new, the keyboard stopped showing up when I tried to type in a text field, like in my Edge browser. It was working before I did the factory reset.
I followed a few things I found here and elsewhere online and I was able to have the keyboard icon appear in the taskbar. But I have to touch on it to bring the keyboard up to be able to type into my browser.
I want the keyboard to appear automatically when I touch a text field. Is there a way to turn that back on?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Touch keyboard
2 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Diana Mariz 10,940 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-04-05T12:38:19.4633333+00:00 -
Diana Mariz 10,940 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-04-05T05:26:02.12+00:00 Hi James,
On a Surface running Windows 11, the on-screen keyboard should typically appear automatically when you tap into a text field in tablet mode. If it does not, it usually indicates that the automatic keyboard setting was disabled after a reset. To re-enable it, navigate to Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Typing > Touch keyboard. Under “Show the touch keyboard when no keyboard is attached,” ensure that it is set to Always or “When tablet mode is on”
. Additionally, you can verify the keyboard icon’s visibility by accessing Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Touch keyboard. However, the crucial step is enabling automatic appearance in the Typing settings. Once this is configured, the keyboard should automatically appear whenever you tap a text box in Edge or any other application, eliminating the need to manually press the taskbar icon.
If the issue persists, consider switching your Surface to tablet mode (by detaching or folding back the keyboard if applicable) and testing again. In some cases, Windows may assume the presence of a hardware keyboard and suppress the touch keyboard.