"Multimedia" flashes in red

Ric -n- Bren Kelly 40 Reputation points
2026-03-15T22:08:55.2266667+00:00

Okay, FWIW, I tried to do my "homework" before posting this. I just recently purchased an Asus V500MVC with Win 11 Home to upgrade from Win 10. Overall, pretty happy with it but, still trying to figure out some of the new "quirks" ...

THIS, I noticed randomly happens, opening different programs or switching to different tabs. Either the word "Multimedia" or, "Standard" will flash (in red) upper left like, just below the tabs (I use full screen) over the back arrow, refresh and home buttons. Is this a Win 11 feature? Is it something I can disable? Or will I need to learn to just ignore it?

EDIT" To add to this, I also noticed it only happens when "Edge" is open.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Aymeric-B 29,715 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-03-15T22:48:16.73+00:00

Hello !

This is not something from Microsoft Edge. It is usually an on-screen display (OSD) from the monitor or display utility, showing the monitor’s current picture mode (for example Standard, Multimedia, Movie, etc.).

What monitor are you using with your Asus PC ? Did you install the driver manually ?

Check in your installed programs if you have software that controls your monitor. Check for ASUS DisplayWidget, Dell Display Manager, HP Display Center..

Looking forward to your answer !

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.