My camera won't turn on and the camera app displays an image of a camera with a line through it. How can I fix it?

Caleb Choe 0 Reputation points
2026-01-16T18:30:00.6966667+00:00

When I open the camera app, there is an error message that says that there is something blocking my camera or that it's turned off by a button from my laptop. I googled how to unblock or turn on the camera, restarted the laptop, and it's still not working. The camera app just displays a camera with a diagonal line crossing it through. For the record, in settings, it says the camera is connected but it comes up with the same error message and image of the camera on the settings app. How can I fix this issue?

Screenshot (120).png

<screenshot removed because it contained PII>

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS_726 30,255 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-01-17T01:40:08.9133333+00:00

    Hello,

    Is this a Lenovo?

    If so, try F8 or Fn+F8 keys?

    If your F8 is for airplane mode, then look for a tiny camera shutter slider/button near the lens, turn it back on.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ferdinand Nanalig 33,395 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-01-16T19:06:17.4533333+00:00

    Hi, I am an independent advisor and welcome to Microsoft Q&A.

    Let me help you with this issue.

    Have you tried moving the camera shutter of your laptop?

    There may be a Lens cover on your camera that is why you are getting this message.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.