Restore the Option-Click for Inserting Cells in macOS Excel

John Morris 10 Reputation points
2025-12-25T19:23:15.9133333+00:00

How do I restore the option-click for inserting cells in macOS Excel? I used this very convenient shortcut for decades before Office 365. It even worked in early version of 365. Then it was killed for a year or two. Then it was restored. I just installed Office 365 on a new MacBook Pro and the option key no longer inserts cells for me. Not only that, but now Google's AI seems to claim that this was never an option and I cannot find any links to the extensive discussion about this the last time the feature was removed.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John Morris 10 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T11:05:51.1666667+00:00

    I don't recall if I ever submitted feedback, but this feature has returned as of September. I'm guessing this legacy feature is used by some internal tester, so it takes them a while to get it restored when a major update (like the change from Intel to Apple Silicon) breaks it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.9K Reputation points
    2025-12-27T02:29:53.0733333+00:00

    Use Help> Feedback in the Excel menu bar to report the issue to Microsoft. Feedback goes directly to the development group for consideration. You won't receive a personal reply but it's the best way to notify the right people of performance/compatibility concerns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.9K Reputation points
    2025-12-26T01:22:37.54+00:00

    Have you tried simply restarting the Mac? Works like a charm here running Office 16.104 on Sequoia 15.7.2 — What are the Version Numbers of your macOS & Office installation?

    If you've adopted Tahoe you're probably running into a compatibility issue. Key mapping is reliant on OS support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
  4. Francisco Montilla 31,170 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-12-25T21:40:46.22+00:00

    Hello,

    You can get that behavior back by turning on Excel for Mac's Click To Add mode. Microsoft removed it in early Excel 2016 for Mac, then brought it back in Microsoft 365 for Mac after customer feedback.

    Open Excel, go to Excel menu > Preferences > Edit, then enable Click To Add Mode. Now type = in a cell and just click cells to insert their references into the formula.

    Note that with this mode on, holding Option while you click temporarily disables the add behavior, which is the opposite of how many long‑time users remember it.

    If that is not the option‑click you meant, tell me exactly where you clicked and what you expected to happen, and I will find the exact feature.

    Was this answer helpful?