Troubleshooting browser crashes or performance issues on macOS
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
After waking my Mac from sleep, Edge tends to eat a lot of resources. It often just eats a ton of memory and uses all CPU. I had this on my M1 MacBook already, but now it also happens with my new M4 MacBook. I have no idea what causes this. Is this a known issue? Can somebody help me narrow down the cause of this? I don't know where to start searching. Could this be an extension-related issue as well? The screenshot is from today's wake-up, showing the Memory page of Activity Monitor.
I read on some other threads, that it could be related to auto-update not working, or some sort of energy management issues (on Windows). Do I have to have auto-update on, e.g. the background launch agents?
Thank you for any the help in advance.
Troubleshooting browser crashes or performance issues on macOS
Hi there,
I'm Cherrelyn, and I’m here to help
Yes, this high memory and CPU usage in Microsoft Edge after waking your Mac from sleep has been reported by some users.
Please try these suggestion:
I hope this will help and if you have any question please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.
Warm regards,
Cherrelyn
Hi Zettt,
Thanks for your reply! You can find the “Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed” setting here just open Microsoft Edge click the three dots (⋯) in the upper-right corner and choose Settings go to System and performance. Under System, look for “Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed” toggle it off.
This can help reduce high memory and CPU usage after your Mac wakes from sleep.
Warm regards,
Cherrelyn
Hi Zettt,
Thanks for following up.
Please check the screenshot I shared this shows exactly where you can find the setting.
Hi Zettt,
After you click the setting then click the system and perfomance here the screenshot
after you click the system and performance you can see system then click it here's the screenshot
After click that you can see the “Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed” toggle it off here the screenshot.
Hi Zettt,
I'm sorry for that and thank you for pointing that out.
If using for Mac you're right there's no option to **"**Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" is not available, as the system manages app behavior differently.
Please try these suggestion instead:
Warm regards,
Cherrelyn