WSL2 and Windows Update Broken After 25H2 Update — Error 0x80070424, LxssManager Missing

Rebecka Fahrni 0 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte
2025-11-13T17:56:19.0533333+00:00

After updating to Windows 11 25H2, WSL2 stopped working. I previously used WSL2 successfully under version 24H2. Now, when i try

(base) PS C:\Users\rebec> wsl 
Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden

but then the cmd; ws
C:\Users\rebec>where wsl
C:\Windows\System32\wsl.exe
C:\Users\rebec\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\wsl.exe 

but in PowerShell; 
(base) PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wsl
Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
(base) PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> where wsl
(base) PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>



my Ubuntu;

Installing, this may take a few minutes...
WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80070424
Error: 0x80070424 Der angegebene Dienst ist kein installierter Dienst.

The LxssManager service is completely missing, which I suspect is the root cause. Windows Features for Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux are enabled. However, WSL and Ubuntu fail to launch.

I also believe Windows Update is damaged. After uninstalling Avira Antivirus, I noticed that updates and core WSL services were missing or non-functional. C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution existed, but WSL dependencies like LxssManager are gone. I've tried:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

  • Reinstalling WSL from the Microsoft Store and via MSI (.msi)

Enabling/disabling WSL-related features via optionalfeatures.exe

I’m looking for help restoring the LxssManager service and ensuring WSL2 dependencies and Windows Update services are fully intact.

Thank you in advance!

Windows-Entwicklung | Internetinformationsdienste
0 Kommentare Keine Kommentare

1 Antwort

Sortieren nach: Am hilfreichsten
  1. Tom Tran (WICLOUD CORPORATION) 5,950 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte Externe Microsoft-Mitarbeiter Moderator
    2025-11-14T04:24:05.3333333+00:00

    Hi @Rebecka Fahrni ,

    Thanks for sharing your details!

    From what you described, WSL failing with 0x80070424, “Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden,” and the LxssManager service missing. The root cause might be that the WSL service isn’t registered correctly. On newer Windows builds, the old LxssManager service is replaced by WSLService, and if the migration didn’t complete, WSL breaks.

    It might also be related to the newest 25H2 update, which introduced changes to WSL’s service model. Combined with the removal of Avira, some registry keys or services may have been deleted, which explains why Windows Update is also throwing the same error code.

    I would recommend you try out these workarounds first to see if you can pinpoint the issue better:


    1. Reinstall WSL completely:

    Run wsl --uninstall, reboot, then wsl --install. This forces Windows to register the correct service (WSLService) for 25H2.


    2. Enable required features:

    In optionalfeatures.exe, make sure Windows Subsystem for Linux, Virtual Machine Platform, and Windows Hypervisor Platform are enabled. Reboot after changes.


    3. Update WSL kernel:

    Run wsl --update or install the latest kernel MSI from Microsoft’s WSL page.


    4. Repair Windows Update services:

    Reset Windows Update components and verify services like wuauserv, BITS, and TrustedInstaller are present and running. Microsoft’s guide on resetting Windows Update components can help.


    I also managed to find some related articles that explain this in more details, please take a look at them when you get the chance:

    Disclaimer: These are articles from third-party websites, so they are for information only. Please do not click-on or download anything strange that might pop up.


    I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please comment below. I'll be happy to help!

    War diese Antwort hilfreich?


Ihre Antwort

Antworten können von Fragestellenden als „Angenommen“ und von Moderierenden als „Empfohlen“ gekennzeichnet werden, wodurch Benutzende wissen, dass diese Antwort das Problem des Fragestellenden gelöst hat.