Teams Breakout Rooms not working as intended

Marek Orube (DHL DE) 0 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte
2026-10-01T11:11:27.79+00:00

Dear community,

I have trying to figure out how to manage breakout rooms in Teams Webinars the way I need them to work.

Here is what I need:

I create a Webinar for only specific people. The number of attendees and referees in total is below or equal1000. Noone can share/unmute/activate camera - only me, the organizer. I create 5 breakout rooms and assign all of the attendees PLUS the referees (2 per room) to their respective rooms. No one can share/unmute/activate camera in those rooms - only the referees. I start the Webinar. After a while I open the breakout rooms and all of the attendees as well as the referees are moved to their respective rooms automatically. When the time is over, I close the rooms and everyone is moved back to the main Webinar, where, again, only I can present.

From what I see it seems that: When I try to have one person being able to present in the breakout room, I have to make them Co-Organizer first, then create the room, then select "who can present" - "specific people" - the person. But first I have to remove that person from the Co-Organizer list of the breakout room. This in itself already makes zero sense to me. Especially since I do not want to grant the "breakout presenter" Co-Organizer rights at any moment. And that is also why I remove the Co-Organizer role in the main Webinar after setting up the breakout room.

And that's where it gets really weird. After many different tries, changing the settings and the order in which I did them, It did work - for one room only. The second room I set up will never apply the presenters right to the assigned person. It doesn't stop there. I have seen multiple people assigned to multiple rooms at the same time. I have seen that the assignment of people to rooms not applying. I have seen that my Co-Organizers can not be assigned to a room when they still have their role of Co-Organizer since they are not attendees.

I refuse to believe that my case is so niche that nobody else had this problem in the past. But I am willing to understand what I am doing wrong, if so.

Looking forward to your advice. Any kind of help is much appreciated.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams für Unternehmen | Besprechungen und Sprachanrufe | Besprechungen planen
0 Kommentare Keine Kommentare

1 Antwort

Sortieren nach: Neueste
  1. Roebe Ta 1,375 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte Unabhängiger Berater
    2026-10-01T12:35:27.6233333+00:00

    I will answer you in English based on your question description. As a friendly suggestion, posting in German may help your question reach a wider audience and increase the chances of receiving assistance from other community members.

    Hi @Marek Orube (DHL DE),

    Thank you for the detailed description.

    I’ve been trying to research and reproduce the behavior you're seeing, but before jumping to any conclusions, I'd like to better understand your current configuration and setup.

    Could you please clarify the following:

    1. When you mention: "I have to remove that person from the Co-Organizer list of the breakout room", could you share the exact steps you are performing?

    As far as I know, co-organizer is a meeting/webinar-level role, and I am not aware of a separate co-organizer list for individual breakout rooms. Are you referring to: the webinar's Co-organizer list, the Breakout room managers setting, or the "Who can present?" setting within the breakout room meeting options?

    2. Have you tried adding the referees as Presenters only instead of Co-organizers?

    If yes:

    • Were they able to unmute, use their camera, and share content in the breakout room?
    • Which specific capability was missing that made you promote them to Co-organizer?

    3. Are the referees:

    • Internal users from your organization?
    • Guest users?
    • External users from another Microsoft 365 tenant?

    4. When you say the second room never applies presenter rights to the assigned person:

    • Does the user still appear as an attendee in that breakout room?
    • What exactly happens when they try to unmute, start video, or share content?

    5. Regarding users appearing in multiple rooms at the same time:

    • Is this visible during pre-assignment before the webinar starts, or only after the breakout rooms are opened?
    • Are you using the Teams desktop client or Teams web client while configuring the rooms?

    Understanding these details will help determine whether you're hitting a product limitation, a configuration issue, or potentially a bug in the breakout room assignment process.

    Looking forward to your response so we can get this sorted out for you together.

    War diese Antwort hilfreich?


Ihre Antwort

Antworten können von Fragestellenden als „Angenommen“ und von Moderierenden als „Empfohlen“ gekennzeichnet werden, wodurch Benutzende wissen, dass diese Antwort das Problem des Fragestellenden gelöst hat.