Unmanaged Microsoft Entra tenant – locked out by MFA and need to close the tenan

iain 0 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte
2026-09-24T16:04:28.2066667+00:00

I have an unmanaged Microsoft Entra organisation. The Microsoft userrealm check returns "IsViral": true. The organisation appears as my Home organisation and says “Can't leave home organisation.” Microsoft documentation says I should be able to close an unmanaged account through My data requests → Close account, but that option is not present in my portal. I am also unable to access Security info or Azure because the account requires Microsoft Authenticator MFA, and I have no working MFA method for this work/school identity.

I want to close/remove this unmanaged work/school identity and its association with the unmanaged Entra organisation. I have a separate personal Microsoft account using the same email address, and I need that personal account to remain completely unaffected.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams für Unternehmen | Andere
0 Kommentare Keine Kommentare

2 Antworten

Sortieren nach: Am hilfreichsten
  1. Iain Goodman 0 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte
    2026-09-25T13:47:29.1333333+00:00

    Thanks for your quick answer, here is the info you requested.

    1. The email is a custom domain. The one I log into here.
    2. I cannot access the Azure platform (I usually get an MFA loop as I do not have an Authenticator profile for that account).
    3. I tried the link you sent and got the following error (see screenshot) Benutzerbild
    4. I've tried using an incognito browser but it doesn't work.

    Additional Info: The "personal" 365 Family subscription is mine and I have full access to it, the "work" account with the same email address was (I believe) set up by a company I used to work with that has now ceased trading. Therefore, I have no access to admin (or Azure) for the work account.

    Any suggestions are very welcome!

    Regards

    Iain

    War diese Antwort hilfreich?


  2. Elena-VH 1,890 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte Unabhängiger Berater
    2026-09-24T17:06:28.61+00:00

    Disclaimer: Although this site is located in German (de-DE), I will respond in English since your question was in English.


    Dear iain,

    Thank you for your detailed description. To better understand the issue, could you share some additional information:

    • What email domain is associated with the unmanaged organization? (For example, is it a custom domain or an address such as @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, or @gmail.com?)​‌
    • When you open My Data Requests in the Azure portal, do you receive an error, or does the page load successfully but simply not show the Close account option? If possible, could you share a screenshot (remember to remove any personal information before sharing)?

    Based on what you've described, your account appears to be in an unmanaged (viral) Microsoft Entra tenant, which is consistent with the IsViral: true result.

    In this case, users can normally remove themselves by going to My data requests > Close account in the Microsoft Azure Portal via this link: https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/PrivacyDataRequests

    You may also want to try accessing the portal using an InPrivate/Incognito browser window or a different browser. This can help rule out issues caused by cached credentials, existing sign-in sessions, or browser extensions.

    My data requests - Close account

    For more information, please refer to Close your work or school account in an unmanaged Microsoft Entra organization and Clean up unmanaged Microsoft Entra accounts (You can reset the user redemption status).

    However, if the Close account option is not available or you're unable to sign in because you're locked out by MFA, the self-service process cannot be completed. In that case, I recommend contacting Microsoft Support for further assistance, as they can investigate the account and tenant status in more detail. As a forum member like you, I do not have access to your tenant or account records for further investigation.

    Because you do not have access to the Azure or Entra portal due to Microsoft Authenticator MFA, and also don't have access to the Admin Center, you may not be able to open a support ticket through there.

    In this case, you can try to contact Microsoft Data Protection Support by phone. For a full list of regional numbers, you can also visit this official page: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support. The support team will assist you as soon as possible. For reference:  Get support | Microsoft Docs   

    Note:

    • You may also consider calling a Microsoft support number for a different region if support in your local region is unavailable or unable to route your case appropriately.
    • While calling, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds, such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore it and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.

    Otherwise, if you know someone who has access to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, or if you work with a Microsoft partner or reseller, you can ask them to help create a support ticket on your behalf.

    Regarding your personal account, a personal Microsoft account and a work/school account using the same email address are separate identities. Closing or removing the unmanaged work/school account should not affect your separate personal Microsoft account.


    As a forum member, I do not have access to Microsoft's backend systems and cannot investigate or remove the tenant association. Microsoft Support will need to review the tenant and advise on the available recovery or removal options.

    War diese Antwort hilfreich?

    0 Kommentare Keine Kommentare

Ihre Antwort

Antworten können von Fragestellenden als „Angenommen“ und von Moderierenden als „Empfohlen“ gekennzeichnet werden, wodurch Benutzende wissen, dass diese Antwort das Problem des Fragestellenden gelöst hat.