Hi Mop Toddel,
Thank you for documenting the issue and the troubleshooting already completed. I can see that you’re using English, so I’ll continue supporting you in this language. If you’d prefer to switch to another language, just let me know.
Since the same applications display correctly in a second user profile, this appears isolated to the original profile’s taskbar, shell, or personalization state rather than the applications themselves.
I checked the current KB5120998 release notes. Microsoft does not currently list grey taskbar icons as a known issue, and no Known Issue Rollback or planned fix has been announced. Although the timing and wallpaper reset suggest the update may be involved, this has not been officially confirmed.
As the next repair option, please back up important files, connect the PC to power and the internet, then:
- Open Settings > System > Recovery.
- Under Fix problems using Windows Update, select Reinstall now.
- Follow the prompts and restart when requested.
This reinstalls the current Windows version, repairs system files and components, and preserves applications, files and settings.
If Reinstall now is unavailable, I recommend using the unaffected profile temporarily and waiting for a later Windows update rather than making additional changes to the affected profile.
I hope the repair installation helps and please let me know how it goes.
If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.