No bitlocker recovery key on newly purchased windows

Chris 20 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte
2026-05-21T20:35:40.1566667+00:00

As the title says, I am checking my Microsoft account, and I can see the copy of windows I bought for this pc but there are no bitlocker recovery keys for this product. I am not locked out of my pc (yet) but this is a month old purchased copy of windows 11 home, and there is no bitlocker recovery key in my microsoft account. How do I set up/find/get one?

Windows für Zuhause | Windows 11 | Zugriff
0 Kommentare Keine Kommentare

Antwort, die vom Frageautor angenommen wurde
EmilyS726 270.7K Zuverlässigkeitspunkte Unabhängiger Berater
2026-05-21T21:24:32.3233333+00:00

I wish I could share good news, but the truth is no one can get you the bitlocker key, including Microsoft staff/support. https://support.microsoft.com/windows/find-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6 The link here says:"Important: Microsoft Support doesn't have the ability to retrieve, provide, or recreate a lost BitLocker recovery key."

Is this where you looked? https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey

If you set it up with school or work account, it is worth checking here as well https://aka.ms/aadrecoverykey sign in with your work/school email credential in that case.

Any chance your laptop was purchased used, or already set up for you? Or was it gifted? Or have you set it up with a different account at first? The key is stored with the very Microsoft account used to set up the computer for the first time, even if you had got rid of that account and set it up with a different account. So, if your computer was set up by anyone at the store you bought it from, it would be that person's account.

I assume you don't remember opting out of not saving it in Microsoft account, and saving it to a local file instead? That's another possibility.

If you can't find it at all, there's really no way to go around it. Bitlocker means business. If it can be bypassed, then it means the encryption is not working. Your only option is to do a clean install of Windows. In that case, you do lose your files. I am very sorry.

War diese Antwort hilfreich?

Eine Person fand diese Antwort hilfreich.

0 zusätzliche Antworten

Sortieren nach: Am hilfreichsten

Ihre Antwort

Antworten können von Fragestellenden als „Angenommen“ und von Moderierenden als „Empfohlen“ gekennzeichnet werden, wodurch Benutzende wissen, dass diese Antwort das Problem des Fragestellenden gelöst hat.