Repeated Microsoft Authenticator sign-in prompts (Windows, Germany) with no matching activity in Security Center — no IP/location details shown

hbertsch 6 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte
2026-01-19T07:14:51.7066667+00:00

For several days I have been receiving repeated sign-in prompts in the Microsoft Authenticator app for my Microsoft account. The prompts indicate a Windows sign-in attempt and only show my account email, “Windows” as the platform, and “Germany” as the origin.

This does not make sense in my case: I do not use Windows with a Microsoft account and have no Windows machine running during this time and I have not initiated any sign-ins during these times. Therefore, it looks like someone may be attempting to compromise my account or is repeatedly triggering sign-in prompts.

What I have already done:

Changed my password → prompts still continue.

Switched the account to passwordless → prompts still continue.

Checked the Microsoft Account Security Center → I see no active sessions from unknown devices and no sign-in attempts that correspond to these Authenticator push prompts.

Questions / Issue:

What exactly are these Authenticator sign-in prompts, if there are no corresponding sign-in attempts visible in the Security Center?

Why are no useful details shown (at least IP address, more precise location, client/app details), and only “Windows” and “Germany”?

How can I stop these prompts completely, unless they are initiated by me?

If these are real attack attempts: How can I identify the source (at least the IP address) so I can take further action, potentially legal (police report against unknown person).

Additional notes:

These are not accidental sign-ins from my own Windows devices; I do not sign in to Windows with this Microsoft account.

I want to prevent “MFA fatigue” style pressure from repeated prompts.

What I’m looking for from Support:

An explanation of how these push prompts can occur without corresponding entries in Security Center,

clear steps to fully prevent or block them,

  • and whether Microsoft provides more detailed audit/log information (including IP/client details), or can provide it upon request.
Windows für Zuhause | Windows 10 | Zugriff
0 Kommentare Keine Kommentare

1 Antwort

Sortieren nach: Am hilfreichsten
  1. Emmanuel Santana 40,205 Zuverlässigkeitspunkte Unabhängiger Berater
    2026-01-19T08:30:04.08+00:00

    Hello. I think that these Microsoft Authenticator prompts are pre-authentication MFA challenges triggered by a sign-in flow that fails before a full login is recorded. That is why nothing appears in the Security Center sign-in history.

    And well, unfortunately, anyone with your email address could try to access your account if it was leaked in a compromised database. This happens to many people, and they often receive multiple attempts. In your case, having 2FA enabled is a big plus.

    A good step to take would be to create an alias and set it as your only sign-in email. Your original address can still be used for communication but won’t work for authentication.

    War diese Antwort hilfreich?


Ihre Antwort

Antworten können von Fragestellenden als „Angenommen“ und von Moderierenden als „Empfohlen“ gekennzeichnet werden, wodurch Benutzende wissen, dass diese Antwort das Problem des Fragestellenden gelöst hat.