Windows 11 Pro activation lost after motherboard replacement – existing license won’t reactivate

Kenneth Løvgren 20 Omdømmepoint
2026-08-08T14:46:41.1933333+00:00

I have been using Windows 11 Pro activated on this PC for approximately 3 years.

I recently replaced the motherboard and CPU, and Windows lost activation after the hardware change.

The PC is still my own personal computer. I have not transferred the license to another person or device.

After reinstalling Windows, it initially installed Windows 11 Home/Core. I have since successfully changed the installed edition to Windows 11 Pro.

The problem now is activation only.

Things I have already tried:

  • Activation Troubleshooter
  • “I changed hardware on this device recently”
  • Signing in with my private Microsoft account
  • Removing my work/school account
  • Temporarily changing Windows to a local administrator account and trying the hardware-change troubleshooter again
  • Entering my existing product key
  • slmgr /ato
  • Microsoft Product Activation Portal

The hardware-change troubleshooter says:

“We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now.”

When I attempt to use my existing product key on Windows 11 Pro I receive:

0xC004E016

I also generated a current Installation ID using:

slmgr /dti

but Microsoft’s Product Activation Portal says:

“Your installation ID could not be validated.”

This Windows 11 Pro installation was activated and working for around 3 years before the motherboard replacement.

I would like Microsoft to verify what type of license/activation I previously had (Retail/OEM/Digital License) and help me reactivate or transfer that existing license before I purchase another Windows license.

I can provide the product key, Installation ID and screenshots privately if required.

Windows til hjemmet | Windows 11 | Licensering og aktivering
0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

Svar accepteret af spørgsmålets forfatter
Igor Leyko 112.4K Omdømmepoint Uafhængig rådgiver
2026-08-08T19:33:32.3033333+00:00

Keneth,

first of all, please note that successful activation does not confirm that the software is properly licensed (see Article 5 of EULA). Due to technology used for upgrade licenses activation used in Windows 10 and Windows 11, Microsoft may allow activation even if there are no usage rights according to a license term. Seems you've used such bypasses provided by Microsoft. But few years ago, Microsoft closed some bypassing variants and now it is not possible to activate new Windows 11 installations using Windows 8 product key.

Note, this forum is not Microsoft support; it is a form of users' mutual support, so there is not any escalating procedure.

You may contact Microsoft support via https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/ page.

Var dette svar nyttigt?

1 person fandt dette svar nyttigt.

4 ekstra svar

Sortér efter: Ældste
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Omdømmepoint Uafhængig rådgiver
    2026-08-08T15:22:23.8+00:00

    How exactly did you purchase Windows 11 Pro?

    Please use ShowKeyPlus tool from Microsoft Store to check the edition of your key. Do not type the key itself here.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?


  2. Igor Leyko 112.4K Omdømmepoint Uafhængig rådgiver
    2026-08-08T16:50:30.9833333+00:00

    Few years ago, Microsoft blocked Windows 8 key using for Windows 10/11 activation. You may use this Windows 8 license still for Windows 8 but not for Windows 11 with new hardware unfortunately.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

  3. Kenneth Løvgren 20 Omdømmepoint
    2026-08-08T19:10:42.8966667+00:00

    showkeyplus

    Brugerens billede

    i bought it from microsoft,

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

  4. Igor Leyko 112.4K Omdømmepoint Uafhængig rådgiver
    2026-08-08T19:13:53.8533333+00:00

    You can use Windows 8 still. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not allow Windows 11 activation using Windows 8 license.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?


Dit svar

Svar kan markeres som "Accepteret" af spørgsmålsforfatteren og "Anbefalet" af redaktører, hvilket hjælper brugerne med at vide, at svaret løste forfatterens problem.